Drafting to scale in AutoCad...

LaLaDavies

LaLaDavies - I deleted your post because the link that you provided only pointed me to a log-in page for Google Mail. You can add a picture with the in-site picture manager. If you are on IE or FF you can use the Image icon at the top of the Quick Reply box. If you are on Chrome, click Go Advance (next to the Post-button), scroll down and select Manage Attachments and add your image from there.

I also merged your threads since they are about the same question.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• LaLaDavies

• JD Mather

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most "normal rulers" I've come across (in the U.S. of A.) are in inches and sixteenths with larger tic marks for every eighth of an inch and quarter of an inch. "Rulers" are used in grade school. When you graduate to the real world we call objects that one measures distances with on a drawing a "scale". The two main types of scales I use are "architect's" and "engineer's". Architect's scales are: 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 3/4, 3/8, 3/32, 3/16, 1 1/2 and 3 = 1'-0". Engineer's scales are:1" = 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 feet.

October2012 040.jpg

I think this might be referred to as a machinist's ruler if I am not mistaken. JDM will surely correct me if I am wrong.

Note that across the bottom it is divided into sixteenths. There are longer lines for every eighth of an inch.

October2012 038.jpg

One end of an "Engineer" scale. The top scale is divided into tenths. It could be used to measure distances on a drawing where the scale was 1"=10' or even 1"=100' (mentally add a "0").

So, of the three images I've shown, which one did you use to measure a distance on the plan of the villa provided by your professor?