developing a profile of a moulding

the180fury

developed pediment.dwgHi Guys,

I am trying to create a developed moulding on the curved section of the pediment here to be able to be viewed accurately in the side view. Is there an easier way of doing this other than the old draftsmans method of projection.(Which will take forever).

Can this profile of the moulding be applied at an angle and how?

Regards

Dan

Edited by the180fury

Have you tried EXTRUDE a pline that is your profile must be closed shape put a line at back not just front. You can extrude along a path curved section then use UNION to join the parts together true 3d solid object chamfer in your dwg would require a subtract using a rectang to slice it off on the angle as extruded path will stil be at 90deg end. Then union two pieces.

Sorry may not work you have LT.

Hi,

Thankyou for the quick response. I do have 3d available but do not know how to use it very well and generally always use 2d. I think I know what you mean I will try to mess around with it, could you possibly explain in more detail step by step how to do the above suggestions.

If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to contribute.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, it appears you are using AutoCAD LT which would preclude you from doing any serious 3D work. That means "Extrude" would not be a recognized command.

What kind of curve radius are we talking here?

Edited by ReMark

the180: What's up? Have you made any progress?

Hi,

No been very busy but as I said earlier i do have a full version of autocad on another pc so 3d is available I am just not familiar with the whole laying a profile out then extruding along a curve as you have done but in the same style as the drawing i posted earlier,I think BIGAL above has got the idea i just don't understand it lol, as you see the profile curves over then gets cut off on the angle , i need to show this from the end view. How do i do this?

Regards

You create your profile as a closed polyline. Then you have two options: Extrude or Sweep. Sweep can have some unexpected results so one must be familiar with and pay close attention to the various options. Extrude has less options. Either way you must have a "path" defined. This path can be a straight line or a curved line or a combination of the two. Once you have extruded or swept the profile any further refinements can be made with the other solid editing tools such as Slice.

3d modelling is part time for me so others will do better but here is a 5min effort. The shape is drawn as a pline, an arc added use rotate3d to lift up shape to end of arc but planar to arc. then extrude. Draw a wedge for trimming extrude it realign it using rotate3d then use subtract to cut the wedge out of the moulding.

Moderator please remove duplicate image please let me know how

Drawing1-Model.jpg

Drawing1-Model.jpg