AutoCAD Saving Problem

Shoey

Hello,

When some users are saving an AutoCAD DWG file, a message box appears stating..

“Unable to save to drawing XXX.dwg - as it is being accessed by another session.”

I know what AutoCAD should do during a save. This is as follows:-

When you save a DWG file, AutoCAD copies the current DWG file to a TMP file.

It then renames the DWG file to a BAK file (if variable ISAVEBAK is turned on) and stores it in your bak-up location. (Either current folder or named folder using the MOVEBAK command).

Then it renames the TMP file back to a DWG file

If the ISAVEBAK is off, AutoCAD renames the current DWG file to a TMP file and then renames the TMP file back to a DWG file

While carrying out the above, AutoCAD should also copy TMP files to the following local folder (which should be the TEMPORARY DRAWING FILE LOCATION on the OPTIONS file tab).

WIN 7 - C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp

WIN XP - C:\Documents and Settings\\AppData\Local\Temp

The problem we are encountering is:-

AutoCAD copies the DWG to the TMP but does not create the BAK file. This is when the error message pops up.

It also tells you the name and location of the TMP file it is saving.

If this happens and you quit the drawing thinking you have saved it, the DWG will be as you opened initially and no updates would have occurred.

However, the TMP file it has created can be renamed to the DWG which is the updated saved version, but we don’t want this to happen.

The TMP files are named similar to sav###.tmp.

The issue also occurs when ISAVEBAK is turned OFF.

We have cleared out old TMP and SV$ files from the TEMPORARY DRAWING FILE LOCATIOn, but still no joy.

IT have attempted to address the problem by doing the following:-

Reinstalled/Repaired AutoCAD;

Recreated Windows user profiles on users PC's;

Purged and Audited the drawing file (removing any unused block and links)

Tested the File-Save properties from another machine;

Moved the documents into a different area of the server

Reset the permissions on the working directory on the server.

None of the above were successful.

As anyone come across this problem and more importantly, has anyone got a solution to address this problem.

Kind regards

Shoey

Does this happen all the time? Just to some users? To some files, where are they?

What is the common thread with the users that have this trouble? Is everyone on ACAD 2011?

Could it be problem with the DWL-file?

I get that message once in a while, I usually attribute it to network troubles. Does this happen if you save files on your harddrive? Since it's just once in a while for me, I save the file under another name and replace it at a later time.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply.

Apologies about my response to this post.

Had an operation in hospital day after posting and only been back at work within past week. The problem turned up again for a user today and it reminded me to this post!

Does this happen all the time? Just to some users? To some files, where are they?

The problem happens randomly and can affect all users. All DWG files are on project servers and it does not appear to happen on local drives.

What is the common thread with the users that have this trouble? Is everyone on ACAD 2011?

We are all using AutoCAD 2011. The OS is mainly Win7, but there are a few users on WinXp and it happens on both.

Could it be problem with the DWL-file?

Have no idea:)

I get that message once in a while, I usually attribute it to network troubles. Does this happen if you save files on your harddrive? Since it's just once in a while for me, I save the file under another name and replace it at a later time.

We can save it has another name and replace. Its actually what we do.

We are currently testing with our IT dept on some methods. If we come up with the answer i will post back.

Thanks

Shoey

• 8 months later...

I am having the same problem. Did you ever get this problem resolved?

The only difference is that everyone else in the office has this problem occasionally and I am the only one who has to deal with it constantly. What usually happens is Autocad freezes for about 20 seconds then comes back, this happens about 2-3 times per hour, after that I try to save and it gives me that same error message. All of our drawings are on a server. I don't think I have the problem when saving to my hard drive. I have Architecture 2013, Windows 7.

Also I was thinking, before reading this stuff it might have to do with users on windows and the root files. When I started here the user was Mark and so all user root folders are Mark. Not thinking anything of it, we changed the user to me. The computer hadn't been used for a while and it wasn't a problem when Marked worked here.

Can anyone answer this for me? It becomes a big problem when we are all working on the same project.

Most likely a network/permissions problem, maybe caused by indexing, anti-virus, the way they created your profile or something else IT is doing.

I found THIS at Autodesk. Have a look at the last post.

Thank you SLW! I was hoping for a way around creating a new user but it confirms what I figured I had to do. I wasn't sure what the problem was so I was searching the wrong thing.

I'll post whether it works or not as soon as we get the time to do it. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Be a bit careful if you do a abrupt shutdown of Autocad using the Right Hand red X rather than a Quit from the menu doing this will leave behind the DWL's and you network may be picking these up as a locked file.

I keep telling my guys to not do it.