Helical Truss

BMWiley

How is everyone this glorious morning!!!

Ok so im in a pickle. Having problems creating a helical truss/ shape. Ive managed to get a simple spline spiral. Which im still not 100 percent happy with. But it will suffice for right now.

Now one of my problems is extruding, and offsetting.

Im pretty ok at 3d modelling, but when it comes to complex shapes i fall flat on my face. Ive including a dwg that shows a plan view of the structure, as well as my 3d spine. the small circles are the truss cords. Its a 16" flat truss, ran parallel with another to create a spiral ribbon.

The plan view is from the designer, ive noticed but maybe its not true... their helix doesnt seem consistent.

I know im leaving a lot of info out, please ask all thw questions youd like. Ill be here all day.

Using, 64bit ACAD 2011 Nilla

Spiral Truss.dwg

Itself... Its an architainment piece. Imagine a walk way through the center, and scrim stretched between the paralleled truss. The red in the plan view is the open area.

Were you thinking of using a tube shape (square/rectangular) or a cylindrical shape to construct the truss?

Could the multiple 3" diameter circles suggest you are going cylindrical?

Is there a kink of sorts in your spline or is it an optical illusion?

the cords are 3 inch aluminum and the diagonal pipe will be 1 1/2". Here is a image of one of their references. In the process of inquiring if a model exsists, and is available.

Truss Visual.png

Helix

Sweep

then a whole bunch of work for the connecting pieces

or

Helix

Curve driven pattern in a modern program like Autodesk Inventor.

Hmm, haven't they added a curve driven Array in AutoCAD? Might not be so bad afterall.

Measure or Divide if the curve driven Array isn't in there (but I think maybe it is).

Ive managed to get a simple spline spiral. Which im still not 100 percent ....

How did you get that - it doesn't look right to me. Look at end view - it should be circular.

Did you use the Helix command?

Is there a kink of sorts in your spline or is it an optical illusion?

Yes there is a kink, i copied one section multiple times. and havent smoothed it out yet.

When i tried the helix command the results werent what i was looking for. When laid on top of the designers plan, it didnt match, what makes me think either theirs may not be possible, or its not consistent. Or maybe im just wrong... which isnt a far stretch. What i did to get the kink was i mapped out one revolution with a spline, then copied, and tried doing little modifications to get smooth. But yes, its not exactly perfect, im not 100% percent happy, but i wanted to figure out the process.

Helix

Sweep

then a whole bunch of work for the connecting pieces

or

Ive managaed to create something a little better with helix... not sure what i did wrong first time around, but on a better track. Thanks. Still stumped but in a better place now.

Edited by BMWiley
Spelling

Well I did create this truss finally, I used JD's method of helix and placing all the diagonal peices manually. Still feel there has to be an easier way but thank you for all your help!!

Don't keep us in suspense BMW....post an image! LoL
Dont worry thats not my intentions, just will not post an unfinished peice... soon enough my friend, soon enough.

Yes it was alot of fun. Tedious, but fun. lol.

Now the real fun starts, reverse engineering to figure out how to jig, weld, assemble, and fit this beast through double doors!!

The guys in the fab shop are going to be using your name in ways you never thought of.:shock: I think some of the parts might even be named after you in a manner of speaking.:lol:

Haha, you have no idea! Im pretty sure they wont be nice names, ill tell you that. This isnt our first large scale peice, but is definetly the most uniquely built one. Ill update with build pics too when it comes to it, were getting the cords rolled by another shop. So in about 8 weeks or so we build!!

We eagerly await the "roll out". Have them weld some stops on it so the assembly doesn't roll down the hill and cause an accident. Good luck.

Haha!! Plan is to jig it suspended, so that cant happen! But id love to change design so it rotates in place, but thats obviously a dream of mine. Continous orbit will suffice.