Scale list bloating and weird scales. AutoCad LT 2008.

Dana W

What in the name of (insert favorite norse god here) makes a scale list fill itself up with thousands of scales like 1/2" = 1'-0"/xref xref xref xref xref xref xref xref xref xref xref........ Many of these are so long they run off the right side of the screen.:shock:

There are so many of these scales in one drawing I have at work, when I hit the "Edit Scale List" button, the button actually blinks slowly 3 or 4 times, the whole program window grey's out, and then an unhandled exception occurs, which of course leaves me staring at my desktop wallpaper with nothing to do but pray that I recently hit the save button.

When I bring a copy of the drawing home, including all xref dwgs and their folders, upon opening it in my own LT 2009, the program tells me the scale list is bloated,in those very words, asks for permission to fix it, promptly fixes it upon getting my blessing, and everything is fine, until I copy the stuff back to my work computer and re-open it in LT 2008.

There are only 3 xrefs in the drawing, each xref is a very small drawing of say a finish schedule with 3 or 4 attributed callout blocks in a list box made of lines about 4" square. Absolutely nothing of a nested nature anywhere.

I can't make pictures to post yet. I have internet at work but the IT Dept. (one guy) can't seem to find the time to activate my virus software after three weeks and he's currently on vacation. >>.

Audit found no errors.

I believe that was a common annoyance (big bug) in 2008, and that there was a hotfix or update to deal with it.

I am also reasonably confident that you will have already researched and or applied any suggested fixes from Autodesk.

Did you purge and audit each of the tiny xref files?

I believe that was a common annoyance (big bug) in 2008, and that there was a hotfix or update to deal with it.

I am also reasonably confident that you will have already researched and or applied any suggested fixes from Autodesk.

Did you purge and audit each of the tiny xref files?

The problem is actually in the pervue of the company two man IT department, and they apparently are clueless.:roll: Given their consternation, and the fact I have never heard of it before either, led me to believe I had found something new and interesting to talk about here. Guess not huh? Anyway, no, I haven't researched anything.:ouch:

This trash is all up in their grand blah blah, best in the world template. I can't even get them to activate my virus software so I can get on the internet and get the fix. But thanks to my memory stick with a fresh load applied from AutoDesk and you and SLW, :notworthy:I get to show 'em how to fix it now. :beer:

I did purge and audit everything. While I did that I didn't really find a lot of crap in the xref dwg's but I got rid of a couple hundred gazillion unused autogenerated blocks, various styles, and stuff I don't even know what to call, from my current master drawing. I think somebody had been just re-using past drawings as their template and just deleting to black without doing anything else.

I'll let you all know if it gets fixed.

I'm glad that SLW found that link for you, :thumbsup: I actually went looking for it, but didn't look in the UTILITIES & DRIVERS,

I did find numerous other UPDATES and HOTFIXES for 2008 LT though, as mentioned on the link SLW supplied.

It sounds like your Master Drawing is yet another fly in the ointment.

Try making a copy of it, then run the -PURGE command (with the hyphen),

purging the REGAPPS first, followed by the All option and AUDIT.

Compare the file sizes and try using that one.

Maybe when the IT guys see how much extra crap there was in the file they will be receptive to cleaning out some of the dead wood.

I'm glad that SLW found that link for you, :thumbsup: I actually went looking for it, but didn't look in the UTILITIES & DRIVERS,

I did find numerous other UPDATES and HOTFIXES for 2008 LT though, as mentioned on the link SLW supplied.

It sounds like your Master Drawing is yet another fly in the ointment.

Try making a copy of it, then run the -PURGE command (with the hyphen),

purging the REGAPPS first, followed by the All option and AUDIT.

Compare the file sizes and try using that one.

Maybe when the IT guys see how much extra crap there was in the file they will be receptive to cleaning out some of the dead wood.

They really are only IT guys by default. One is the drafting manager, currently on vacation, and the other is the next most senior person in the 8 person team. They're the go to guys for IT stuff though. I was kind of surprised that the #2 was as surprised as I was by the scale list issue in 2008, even after more than 4 years of using it.

When they hired me, they went out and bought a hotrod HP computer for me to use at the office that very weekend, so it would be ready for me on Monday morning. So, of course when they installed their AutoCad 2008 on it, nobody ran any service packs, or fixes. I am using it straight out of the 4 year old can.

I downloaded SP1 for 2008, the scalelist hotfix, and another one I need, that centers up the plot on a pdf. I had noticed the dwg to pdf.pc3 was shoving the drawing off the right side of the pdf document, so I guess that is a common issue too.

I am not using the bloated drawing right now, that job is in the can, and in the field, but I am going into the office today to fix the issues I am having with the software.

Right now my most difficult problem is getting an architect to visualize why a 40 foot long formed 16 guage stainless steel 'drink rail' sink is going to NOT WORK OUT. You see, the bar is built on a 60 foot radius, and as far as I know, you can't bend a piece of formed steel very successfully across the long section. Frame of reference, the bumper on my '99 Suburban is 16 guage formed steel, it ain't all that flexible.

Oh yeah, a drink rail is a sink. They are about 8" wide and as long as they need to be, in this case, 38'-0" long. We are now talking to poeple in the Orlando area that have a water jet cnc table because this thing needs to be cut out on a radius, then the sides & top flanges welded to it.

Thanks again guys.

News at 11

Which HP did they get you?

Your bumper was probably drop forged, but it certainly sounds like you are making some very good points there Dana about that drink rail.

Yeah, you can cut that diamond shaped rubber mat they put in it with scissors, that was probably what the architect was thinking about. :beer:

Which HP did they get you?
dunno, have not thought to look at the stat sheet yet. All's I know is, it's faster'n a skunk sprayed 'coon houn'.

Your bumper was probably drop forged, but it certainly sounds like you are making some very good points there Dana about that drink rail.

Yeah, you can cut that diamond shaped rubber mat they put in it with scissors, that was probably what the architect was thinking about. :beer:

Well, it ain't my first millwork rodeo, after all. "Thinking"? OK, if you say so.

I've seen these guys spec a 3" angle iron rectangular underside perimeter frame to hold up a 25" wide x 72" piece of 30mm granite countertop too. Mind you there are no side walls to help hang that puppy on, but it should be ok, right?