+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1" = 100'

Using
    AutoCAD 2016
    Well, I'm North of I-10, but South of I-94, and East of I-5, but West of I-95...

Default 1" = 100'

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hello All
    I need to make a grid (already have it's own layer) where 1" = 100'. I've gone into the dimension manager and set linear dimension = 100...not sure if that is correct. At any rate, the grid needs to measure .6" x .4" or 60' x 40'.
    Alternately, the factory measures 1320' x 852'8" of floor space (Outside wall length)
    Thanks for the help
    Charles

PS. I'm new to the community...So, howdy everybody!

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell OptiPlex 7020
    CPU:
    i7 4790 3.6GHz
    RAM:
    16GB, 1600MHz, DDR3 non-ECC 2x8GB
    Graphics:
    AMD Radeon 2GB
    Primary Storage:
    Samsung 480Gb SSD
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    rkent's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Facilities Design - Semi-conductor manufacturing
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Designer: Process Piping, P&ID's, Machine Part Design, Planning / General Arrangement. Facilities Management. Drafting: Electrical, Controls, Architectural.
    Using
    Mechanical 2017

Unless you really do need that for a unique reason the absolutely best way to work in CAD is to draw to true size. Maybe explain more what you are doing first.
    Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. - The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Welcome to the forum.

In Autocad you should always draw everything at full scale in your MODELSPACE.
    EVERYTHING.
    If you are drawing the SOLAR SYSTEM, do it full size.
    Drawing sub-atomic particles? Draw them full size too.
    Create your grid at full size too.
    Scale will later be applied to a VIEWPORT in paperspace.

You might enjoy watching the short linked video
    http://www.infiniteskills.com/demos/...-demo/0310.mp4

You might also find the following post by ReMark helpful with regards to viewport
    http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...bout-Viewports.
    Last edited by Dadgad; 16th Oct 2012 at 04:58 am.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Dadgad View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

In Autocad you should always draw everything at full scale in your MODELSPACE.
    EVERYTHING.
    If you are drawing the SOLAR SYSTEM, do it full size.
    Drawing MOLECULES draw them full size too.
    Create your grid at full size too.
    Scale will later be applied to a VIEWPORT in paperspace.

You might enjoy watching the short linked video
    http://www.infiniteskills.com/demos/...-demo/0310.mp4

You might also find the following post by ReMark helpful with regards to viewport
    http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...bout-Viewports.
    One day, I drew a supermassive black hole at full size. Then I zoomed Extents. Now I can't find my computer. It just seemed to stretch off into the distance a little at a time until it was gone. Imagine a speak'n'spell voice while reading this.

OK, so to the OP, what does the factory have to do with the grid?

Explain more how you attempted to set your linear dimension. The way you put it sounds like you really want to be setting your units to feet, and then drawing your grid at FULL SIZE.

Cad drawings get scaled at printing time, not at drawing time as if you were using real paper and a real straightedge and pencil.

You will hear it said over and over and read it here on the forum almost every day. Never draw at a scale in modelspace. It may not make a difference to you, but one day you will need to transmit a dwg file to someone, and a scaled drawing in modelspace will drive the recipient completely bullsnot crazy, and probably generate an irate email or fifty.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    One day, I drew a supermassive black hole at full size. Then I zoomed Extents. Now I can't find my computer. It just seemed to stretch off into the distance a little at a time until it was gone. :
    Not to worry Dana, your computer is still there, and full sized too, it is just a lot smaller than it used to be.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Using
    Inventor 2015

In any case - dimension are driven by geometry - they do not drive geometry (unless you are using the parametric tab).
    Draw full scale 1:1 and then let AutoCAD layout do the scaling. No user calculations needed (read - easier, matches the real world and less likely to make errors).
    Certified SolidWorks Professional
    Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
    Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional

Using
    AutoCAD 2016
    Well, I'm North of I-10, but South of I-94, and East of I-5, but West of I-95...

Drawing in 1:1...that makes sense. I'll just zoom way out to make it fit in model space, and make the text really big? The reason I want to make a grid of 60' x 40' is this is the spacing of the columns inside the factory. So, before I do anything, I wanted to position my columns inside the factory, and define the outside walls. I have used a single layer titled: "factory grid" to define the boundaries of the factory, and now I would like to make the grid where each bay (dashed line in Gray) measures 60' x 40', and the grid is only applied to the factory inside boundary. Kind of think of it, I suppose I'll need to create another layer for the factory grid if the line is dashed and a different color from the factory walls which define the boundary, which is a solid line in black. I'll go back to the dimension manger and go with a 1:1 in feet!
    Now, once I do this, I'll need to create a rectangle with dimension of 1320' x 852'8". What is the command to input the dimensions as required, instead of manually drawing a rectangle on my computer big enough to cover a city block...it might look sort of strange if I have to keep walking down the street, with my computer, while drawing a line 1,320 feet long...That's a little joke I just thought of.
    Thanks for the help!

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

You're not even ready for text yet so I'd hold up on that for the moment.

A factory? Then you will want to set your UNITS "type" to Architectural and set your precision as well or have you done this already?

You can draw the rectangle representing the exterior dimensions of your building using the RECTANGLE command (you'll get a polyline not four individual lines) and inputting the two distances you mentioned previously. It goes something like this:

Command: _rectang (what AutoCAD calles the command if picked off the Draw panel)
    Specify first corner point or [Chamfer/Elevation/Fillet/Thickness/Width]: pick a point in the lower left hand corner of your screen
    Specify other corner point or [Area/Dimensions/Rotation]: D (for Dimensions)

Specify length for rectangles <0'-10">: 1320'

Specify width for rectangles <0'-10">: 852'8" (do not try to insert a dash between the feet and inches)

Specify other corner point or [Area/Dimensions/Rotation]: rotate your rectangle for the correction orientation

When done issue a Zoom > Extents and you will see the entire building rectangle on your screen.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Another way to draw the perimeter of the building. Start with the normal LINE command, pick a point in the lower left-hand corner of your screen then (with Orthomode enabled - the F8 key) pull your mouse to the right and type 1352' (the < ' > mark is important) then pull the rubberband line up and type 852'8" then pull the line to the left and type 1352' and finally, leave your mouse alone, type the letter "C" at the command line (for CLOSE) and press Enter.

Command: _line
    Specify first point: pick your first point

Specify next point or [Undo]: 1352'

Specify next point or [Undo]: 852'8"

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: 1352'

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: C

The building perimeter will now consist of four individual lines. Do you know the difference between a line and a polyline?
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Factory1.PNG
    When you are finished it should look like this. I put dimensions on it so as to verify I used the ones you provided.

Think about layers too. Don't make the classic newbie mistake and put everything on layer "0" in white or worse yet, override, the default color and start assigning colors to individual objects. You'll learn to regret it if you do.

For a building you might want layers for the foundation, centerlines of steel, structural members, walls, doors, and windows for starters. Later on you'll add layers for text, dimensions, title block and border.