1" = 100'

Casio47

Oh...I can select all the grid lines, and change the colors all at once by dragging right to left! I was originally dragging left to right, and nothing was happening...that's a neet trick!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Casio47

• ReMark

• Dana W

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crossing Window? I have managed to change the Line type to CENTER2 on the Clumn Grid Layer, but I havent been successfull with getting the change to actually take place on the drawing.Also, still not able to get my drawing to post. When I try to copy and paste the file, the paste is greyed out?If Pickadd = 1? I used the command PICKADD, and entered 1...what do I do with that?

pickadd = 1 allows you to select something, then click on something else and select that too, and continue adding to your selection, thus pickADD. If it's not set to 1, you can't add to your selection and each time you select something new, you will lose the prior selection. It just sounded to me like you might have been having an issue with that.

There is a toggle button at the top of the Properties box to switch pickadd back and forth from 1 to 0. I dunno why, it's just there. Some people can't resist poking buttons to see what they do. That one does nothing until you try and select a second object with another click. If pickadd is = 0, you can't do it without losing the first selection. Then you get the question "Where went my selection functionality?"

When you use a selection window from left to right, only those objects that are COMPLETELY captured all the way inside the selection window get selected. For instance, you can select a short line out from under a longer line simply by using a left to right selection window, and leaving some part of the longer line outside of the window.

When you use a selection window from right to left, (crossing window) ANY object with even one single tiny point of it inside the window gets selected. The crossing window is useful when selecting a bunch of lines all at once without having to zoom out until you can window their entire length for selection.

In order to put one or more objects on a particular layer, first select the object(s) you want to move to a layer. Then click on the down arrow up there on your layer dropdown list. Then click on the layer you want to move the objects to. DONE. Now, if the objects you selected have their color, lineweight, and such set to "By Layer", the objects thus moved will take on the default properties of the destination layer.

That's what I thought, but I still cant get my line type to change to CENTER2. Everything looks correct in the layer properties box. My Column Grid layer has linetype set to CENTER2, and under properties, it reads ByLayer, and shows the proper dashed line, but it remains a continous line?

Super...that's the ticket. I now have a dashed grid! What do we do now? Should we start with some text? I do need to trim some of the grid lines out, so I can make room for cafeterias, and other large open spaces which are really there. Also, I don't think the grid should be too dominating in the drawing. How do we make the grid less dominating, and the perimeter really dominating? Currently I have 3 Layers: Layer 0, Column Grid, and Perimeter.

Thanks

This is what lineweights are for. The thicker a line is when it's printed the more dominant that line will appear.

Lineweights are dealt with on an heirachy, but the actual heirachy will vary depending on what you want to look more important on your plan. Assuming you're looking to produce a "typical" "General Arrangement" drawing you want your perimiter to be your thickest line and the grid the thinnest. How much detail you're showing, and what scale your final drawing will be printed at, will lead to how thick those lines actually are (if you have a lot of detail, or too small a scale then you need to reduce your linethicknesses - otherwise things will just turn into black blobs).

In AutoCAD there are two ways of controlling lineweights. One way (which three out of the four firms I've worked for use, FWIW) is with a pen colour table, where you set each of your AutoCAD colours to represent a different lineweight before giving each drawing object a colour (which then prints black). The other way is by setting lineweights directly (this is what the fourth company used.

My guess would be that about 15% of the threads on this (or any other CAD) forum are discussing the pros and cons of these two methods so I'll let you research and choose one or other, then I'm sure I or someone else can help talk you through how to put whichever method you choose into practice.

dJE

No, you should not be adding any text or dimensions yet. You have barely broken the surface with your drawing. You don't put the candles on the cake before it is iced do you? And I wouldn't be worried about line weight at the moment either. However...

Line "weight" can be assigned via the Layer Properties Manager to a layer just like color and linetype. To see these weights on screen one would toggle the Display Lineweight button at the bottom of the screen in the Task Bar.

Line "weight" can be assigned through your CTB or STB plot style.

Line "weight", or what is really referred to as "width", can be achieved by using polylines instead of lines and assigning each line a "width" for which there is an option as part of two different commands. They are: Polyline and Pedit. Pedit is the command used to turn lines into polylines.

If you don't want the grid to be too dominating then change the color to a light gray.

Edited by ReMark

I'm hungry, I want to put a cafeteria in. Only, I do not wish to have any columns inside the perimeter of the cafeteria. I would like to start by defining the perimeter of the cafeteria, and then put some tables, chairs, center salad bar, grill area, bla-bla-bla. Oh, one other thing, right next door (adjacent wall) better have a restroom available for the cafeteria food doing it's normal thing.

lol, I like that way of ordering your design :) (I often start with the toilet because it's a certain size and you have to have it lol)

strucutrally your cafeteria walls are very different to your perimeter walls, so I'd probably put them on a separate layer.

Furniture definitely needs to be on its own layer. If you haven't done already that'll be a great time to learn about blocks!! Similarly blocks will be a must for the bathrooms.

dJE

danellis

lol, I like that way of ordering your design :) (I often start with the toilet because it's a certain size and you have to have it lol)

strucutrally your cafeteria walls are very different to your perimeter walls, so I'd probably put them on a separate layer.

Furniture definitely needs to be on its own layer. If you haven't done already that'll be a great time to learn about blocks!! Similarly blocks will be a must for the bathrooms.

ReMark

I thought this was a factory with conveyor belts, assembly lines and overhead cranes. And you are worried about drawing the cafeteria? OMG

Don't forget the wi-fi cafe with espresso, and latte' machines, the union stipulated gym, child care center, and alternate lifestyle locker rooms.

Don't forget the wi-fi cafe with espresso, and latte' machines, the union stipulated gym, child care center, and alternate lifestyle locker rooms.

What? :shock:

No CONJUGAL VISITATION coffee break facilities? :whistle:

How am I supposed to be a productive employee, IF I'M HUNGRY!

So, getting back to the conveyor thing, how do I copy and paste a conveyor from another AutoCAD drawing, into DraftSIGHT?

Well what do you know...I just saw I have two little circles under my name now...Pretty soon, I'll be as good as Professor ReMark!

Edit 1

My factory perimeter is a LINE. How do I change the LINE, to a POLYLINE?

Edit 2

Never mind, I just saw your post about PEDIT to turn LINES into POLYLINES...now about that copy and paste thing...

Edited by Casio47

This is what lineweights are for. The thicker a line is when it's printed the more dominant that line will appear.

Lineweights are dealt with on an heirachy, but the actual heirachy will vary depending on what you want to look more important on your plan. Assuming you're looking to produce a "typical" "General Arrangement" drawing you want your perimiter to be your thickest line and the grid the thinnest. How much detail you're showing, and what scale your final drawing will be printed at, will lead to how thick those lines actually are (if you have a lot of detail, or too small a scale then you need to reduce your linethicknesses - otherwise things will just turn into black blobs).

In AutoCAD there are two ways of controlling lineweights. One way (which three out of the four firms I've worked for use, FWIW) is with a pen colour table, where you set each of your AutoCAD colours to represent a different lineweight before giving each drawing object a colour (which then prints black). The other way is by setting lineweights directly (this is what the fourth company used.

My guess would be that about 15% of the threads on this (or any other CAD) forum are discussing the pros and cons of these two methods so I'll let you research and choose one or other, then I'm sure I or someone else can help talk you through how to put whichever method you choose into practice.

dJE

So that's why the layers at work drawings have colors, but plots other colors...solves that mystery.

What? :shock:

No CONJUGAL VISITATION coffee break facilities? :whistle:

You know, I can't think of everything. I was just working up a thought experiment for a combination pet & mee maw day care section at the factory.

All right, I'm still having issues with copy and paste! it's getting on my nerves. Will DraftSIGHT let me import an object/Block from AutoCAD?

• 6 months later...

Just found this thread via search "conveyor". Boy, Casio47, they threw you into cold water at the deep end. Planning factory layouts without knowledge of CAD...nice employer you have.

But you're in good hands with ReMark. He'll get you on the right track...

I also work in a big factory setting and design conveyor layouts too. (P+F, EMS, Skid Conveyors, Skillet Conveyors, Slat Conveyors, etc.) I just use a diffent tool; MicroStation with add-on TriCAD Conveyor Module. I've got a bit of FactoryCAD experience, but it's been 9 years since I've used the software.

Good luck with your "training" - CAD work is a lot of fun!!