• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Casio47

• ReMark

• Dana W

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oops. I think our posts crossed paths. See post #20 as I made a few additions.

Draftsight? I don't see why not.

Have to go out into the plant for a while so if I do not respond quickly it is not because I am ignoring you.

Where are you located?

The objects created as blocks is correct. I often here the others say to modify the blocks...what ever that means. I believe the "I-Beam" Columns (I use the term I-Beam, although they are really columns) are blocks. However, I do not know how I'm supposed to create a grid to scale, fit it inside the factory walls, and then place a little I-Beam looking thing at every intersection. That would seem to be very tedious. I believe I will need to create an I-Beam block (to scale), and then place it in my library, which I have no clue how to create a library of things; that way, I can reuse the I-Beam over and over. Similarly, other objects like the conveyor, I'll need to create one and have it as a block and reuse that.

Actually, It would seem for the objects, like conveyors and overhead cranes for example, I could just call our contact in the company which makes those things, and have them send me an AutoCAD drawing, which should be to scale, and then import it into my drawing. I believe this is how our CAD Draftsmen do it. They normally do not spend the time measuring actual objects unless they have to.

The grid is just an array of two lines. One is horizontal and the other is vertical. Or you could offset a line representing the perimeter of the building the required number of feet then repeat the procedure as needed.

Blocks should be created on layer "0" so when they are inserted on any other layer they take on the color and linetype of that layer. Once you've made a block you can use it repeatedly throughout your drawing. A block can even be written out to one's hard drive (the WBlock command in AutoCAD) as a DWG file that can then be inserted into any new drawing you create.

It would be very advantageous if you can obtain blocks from equipment manufacturers as it would save you much time and expense.

The objects created as blocks is correct. I often here the others say to modify the blocks...what ever that means. I believe the "I-Beam" Columns (I use the term I-Beam, although they are really columns) are blocks. However, I do not know how I'm supposed to create a grid to scale, fit it inside the factory walls, and then place a little I-Beam looking thing at every intersection. That would seem to be very tedious. I believe I will need to create an I-Beam block (to scale), and then place it in my library, which I have no clue how to create a library of things; that way, I can reuse the I-Beam over and over. Similarly, other objects like the conveyor, I'll need to create one and have it as a block and reuse that.

Actually, It would seem for the objects, like conveyors and overhead cranes for example, I could just call our contact in the company which makes those things, and have them send me an AutoCAD drawing, which should be to scale, and then import it into my drawing. I believe this is how our CAD Draftsmen do it. They normally do not spend the time measuring actual objects unless they have to.

No, no, no. The I beam, crane and conveyor blocks will be FULL SIZE. Nothing is ever drawn to scale. The drawings are subsequently PRINTED to scale.

I like the idea of offsetting the perimeter to form the grid. I'll work on this and do some research for finding the command to repeat the lines. I do know how to put the grid (once created) on its own layer, and change the line to a centerline style. Why did you use "CENTER2 Center(.5x)"? Is that a CAD standard?

Not entirely sure if I'm following you on creating blocks on layer 0. If I do that, does Layer 0 become my library, and I insert all blocks from layer 0, when I create a new layer? For example, lets say I create a conveyor (FULL SIZE) on layer 0, and I'll use this conveyor block over and over. When I wish to insert a conveyor into a specific manufacturing line, I will then create a separate layer for conveyors in the assembly lines so I can organize better? That way, I can turn off the conveyor layer, and all conveyor layers in the assembly lines will not be shown...right?

Thanks for your time, I'll probably not get back with you until Sunday or Monday

Hello Dana W

Not sure if you got my reply, Bill Gates freaked out on me. You're correct, I will be more careful about using the term "to scale" as opposed to "full size". My mistake.

I'm very much aware (over and over and over...) from the teachings of Professor ReMark the importance of always designing in full size.

Thanks for the help...and I like your dog!

I picked CENTER2 because that's what I typically use in my fabrication drawings. I could have easily gone with CENTER and there is no reason you couldn't change the linetype if you want to.

To repeat: It is recommended that blocks be created on layer "0" so that when inserted they take on the linetype and color of the layer they are inserted on. There is no hard-and-fast rule governing this but you'll find many long time CAD techs following this method.

You are not "inserting blocks from layer 0". The block is stored within the drawing and ultimately saved with it. It would be prudent of you to create a layer specifically for conveyors, or cranes, or desks, in the interest of organizing your drawing and working on it when it becomes busy. Layers can be turned On/Off and they can also be Frozen/Thawed. You'll also find it handy to utilize different layers when it comes to what is being displayed in a viewport. In AutoCAD, at least, one can freeze layers in individual viewports which may be necessary at times.

I'll have to check Draftsight regarding blocks and see if it has an equivalent command to WBlock (write block). Most likely it does. You should learn the difference between the two commands.

Sunday or Monday? That's fine by me. I'm helping a friend all day Saturday putting up sheetrock and doing some electrical work. I can use the break from CAD. See you then.

Hello Dana W

Not sure if you got my reply, Bill Gates freaked out on me. You're correct, I will be more careful about using the term "to scale" as opposed to "full size". My mistake.

I'm very much aware (over and over and over...) from the teachings of Professor ReMark the importance of always designing in full size.

Thanks for the help...and I like your dog!

What? You don't LOVE my dog?:shock:

Daisy Mea.JPG

OK, I got my 60' x 40' column grid. The way I did it was insert a 60 x 40 rectangle at the (0,0) coordinate, and then used the pattern command to fill in the the entire boundry. Probably not the correct way, but it was the only way I could do it, and I put it on it's own layer. However, I'm not having any luck in changing the line type, it is always a continuous line, instead of a dished line. Another problem is I'm not able to change the thickness of the boundry line. the Boundry line is on it's own layer and is a complete rectangle.

You used a hatch pattern to create your grid lines? Why didn't you follow my advice about using the ARRAY command? Or, if for some reason you found that command too confusing, you could use the OFFSET command instead. You cannot change the linetype of the hatch pattern. Another thing is that unless Draftsight has an option to override the object snap for a hatch pattern you won't be able to use OSnaps on your Grid intersection points. You have come here seeking our advice. The best thing you can do is follow it.

How about we change our terminology too? By "boundary" you mean the "perimeter" of the building right? Also know as the "exterior".

Why do you want to change the "width" of the line in your display?

Given the dimensions of your building, even if you used the PEDIT command > Width option you would have to make your line about 24" wide for it to be visible onscreen when zoomed all the way out.

Edited by ReMark

yea...I tried the ARRAY and OFFSET commands, and did not have much luck, never could get them to work. On the OFFSET command, I could only get it to Offset only once, and that was on the outside of the exterior, instead of on the inside, so I'm definitely doing something wrong there. The ARRAY command, brought up the pattern window, so I was under the impression I had to create a "Pattern" first, hence the making on 1 60' x 40' rectangle, and then using the PATTERN command to replicate the 1 rectangle. Let me guess...I did it wrong again

UPDATE:

So I tried the Array command again, only this time, I turned off the layer with the rectangle grid (the one you did not like the way I did it) I can get the array command to draw a 60' x 40' grid. However, the lines extend well beyond the exterior of the building? And, I can not delete the layer which has the rectangle grid that I previously turned off? Do I need to start over, Is my factory beyond hope before it has a chance?

UPDATE:

I'm getting closer! And, I started over. So, I now have a 1320' x 852'8" perimeter, with a 60' x 40' grid! I got the grid by using the OFFSET command. I selected one of the horizontal lines, offset it by 60' and then clicked on a vacant space inside the rectangle. this gave me a horizontal line, 60' off the bottom perimeter horizontal line. I then used this same method, one line at a time, untill I had all horizontal lines. I used the same method for the vertical lines, only those are 40' distance. I have two layers (3 including the 0 layer), 1 layer is for the perimeter, and another layer is for the colunm grid. however, this still is not correct because when ever I change the color of the grid, the perimeter color also changes. I made sure the correct layer was active when I started my offset command. Is this because the offset lines are associated with the perimeter rectangle; therefore it's treated as a single layer, instead of two separate layers? And I still cant change the solid line to a center sections line style. All for now, I need to go watch Chicago beat up on Detroit.

As always, thanks for your time.

Thanks for the help

Edited by Casio47

yea...I tried the ARRAY and OFFSET commands, and did not have much luck, never could get them to work. On the OFFSET command, I could only get it to Offset only once, and that was on the outside of the exterior, instead of on the inside, so I'm definitely doing something wrong there. The ARRAY command, brought up the pattern window, so I was under the impression I had to create a "Pattern" first, hence the making on 1 60' x 40' rectangle, and then using the PATTERN command to replicate the 1 rectangle. Let me guess...I did it wrong again

UPDATE:

So I tried the Array command again, only this time, I turned off the layer with the rectangle grid (the one you did not like the way I did it) I can get the array command to draw a 60' x 40' grid. However, the lines extend well beyond the exterior of the building? And, I can not delete the layer which has the rectangle grid that I previously turned off? Do I need to start over, Is my factory beyond hope before it has a chance?

Thanks for the help

EDIT: You must have been typing your last update while I started kicking at you again.:lol:

You can't delete a layer with stuff on it. You have to delete the things you drew on it first. That is AutoCad's way of saving you from yourself. Send 'em a thank you.;)

You have to read the intermediate command modifiers for some of this stuff as it prompts you. Offset asks you three questions. How far do you want to offset? What do you want to offset? (if you have not already selected an object), and lastly, Which side do you want to offset to? Well, it don't ask you that stuff in exactly those words but the answers to the three questions have to be communicated to the offset command. The offset object will appear on either side of the original object. The side will be designated as you click the cursor on one side or the other of the original object.

Offset only works once. You have to select the resulting line from your previous offset and do it all again, once per each new line. Remember, don't select the original line more than once, but keep selecting the result from the most recently offset'ed (is that a word?) line.

Well, you can keep re selecting the original line but you will have to keep adding to your offset distance to work it that way instead of just accepting the retained prior distance offered in the prompt.

Edited by Dana W

There it is again, that Mona Lisa smile! What's not to love? :shock:

This is a great portrait. :beer:

Mona Lisa indeed. Just as the original Lisa babe often did, Daisy is exhibiting her bemused love, patience, and toleration of her favorite but fumbling human servants constant efforts to keep her happy with a mere used nasty dirty tennis ball.

WHY CAN'T THEY SAY THAT TO BEGIN WITH! So, this is what I did, I now have my factory perimeter (1320' x 852'8"), with a 60' x 40' grid. I have a layer named PERIMETER, and I have a layer named COLUMN GRID. Furthurmore, I have the colors I want, white for the perimeter, and grey for the grid. I know I did the coloring thing wrong, because I had to select each grid line individually, one at a time, and then place them on the GRID layer, which had the proper color assigned to it. As a result, I now see little square grids as I walk through the house. At any rate, I would like to send a link to show you all where I'm at...how do I do this?

Thanks for the help

Don't send a link. Post a copy of your DWG file instead or an image (JPG or PNG).

You could have change the layer/color of all your grid lines by selecting them with a crossing window.

Don't send a link. Post a copy of your DWG file instead or an image (JPG or PNG).

You could have change the layer/color of all your grid lines by selecting them with a crossing window.

If pickadd = 1.

Crossing Window? I have managed to change the Line type to CENTER2 on the Clumn Grid Layer, but I havent been successfull with getting the change to actually take place on the drawing.Also, still not able to get my drawing to post. When I try to copy and paste the file, the paste is greyed out?If Pickadd = 1? I used the command PICKADD, and entered 1...what do I do with that?