Computer Details
    danellis's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer:
    Dell Precision T1650
    Using
    Architecture 2014

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

lol, I like that way of ordering your design (I often start with the toilet because it's a certain size and you have to have it lol)

strucutrally your cafeteria walls are very different to your perimeter walls, so I'd probably put them on a separate layer.

Furniture definitely needs to be on its own layer. If you haven't done already that'll be a great time to learn about blocks!! Similarly blocks will be a must for the bathrooms.

dJE

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

I thought this was a factory with conveyor belts, assembly lines and overhead cranes. And you are worried about drawing the cafeteria? OMG
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

danellis

lol, I like that way of ordering your design (I often start with the toilet because it's a certain size and you have to have it lol)

strucutrally your cafeteria walls are very different to your perimeter walls, so I'd probably put them on a separate layer.

Furniture definitely needs to be on its own layer. If you haven't done already that'll be a great time to learn about blocks!! Similarly blocks will be a must for the bathrooms.
    ReMark

I thought this was a factory with conveyor belts, assembly lines and overhead cranes. And you are worried about drawing the cafeteria? OMG
    Don't forget the wi-fi cafe with espresso, and latte' machines, the union stipulated gym, child care center, and alternate lifestyle locker rooms.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Don't forget the wi-fi cafe with espresso, and latte' machines, the union stipulated gym, child care center, and alternate lifestyle locker rooms.
    What?

No CONJUGAL VISITATION coffee break facilities?
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Using
    AutoCAD 2016
    Well, I'm North of I-10, but South of I-94, and East of I-5, but West of I-95...

How am I supposed to be a productive employee, IF I'M HUNGRY!
    So, getting back to the conveyor thing, how do I copy and paste a conveyor from another AutoCAD drawing, into DraftSIGHT?
    Well what do you know...I just saw I have two little circles under my name now...Pretty soon, I'll be as good as Professor ReMark!

Edit 1
    My factory perimeter is a LINE. How do I change the LINE, to a POLYLINE?

Edit 2
    Never mind, I just saw your post about PEDIT to turn LINES into POLYLINES...now about that copy and paste thing...
    Last edited by Casio47; 27th Oct 2012 at 04:58 am.

Using
    AutoCAD 2016
    Well, I'm North of I-10, but South of I-94, and East of I-5, but West of I-95...

Quote Originally Posted by danellis View Post
    This is what lineweights are for. The thicker a line is when it's printed the more dominant that line will appear.

Lineweights are dealt with on an heirachy, but the actual heirachy will vary depending on what you want to look more important on your plan. Assuming you're looking to produce a "typical" "General Arrangement" drawing you want your perimiter to be your thickest line and the grid the thinnest. How much detail you're showing, and what scale your final drawing will be printed at, will lead to how thick those lines actually are (if you have a lot of detail, or too small a scale then you need to reduce your linethicknesses - otherwise things will just turn into black blobs).

In AutoCAD there are two ways of controlling lineweights. One way (which three out of the four firms I've worked for use, FWIW) is with a pen colour table, where you set each of your AutoCAD colours to represent a different lineweight before giving each drawing object a colour (which then prints black). The other way is by setting lineweights directly (this is what the fourth company used.

My guess would be that about 15% of the threads on this (or any other CAD) forum are discussing the pros and cons of these two methods so I'll let you research and choose one or other, then I'm sure I or someone else can help talk you through how to put whichever method you choose into practice.

dJE
    So that's why the layers at work drawings have colors, but plots other colors...solves that mystery.

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Dadgad View Post
    What?

No CONJUGAL VISITATION coffee break facilities?
    You know, I can't think of everything. I was just working up a thought experiment for a combination pet & mee maw day care section at the factory.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Using
    AutoCAD 2016

All right, I'm still having issues with copy and paste! it's getting on my nerves. Will DraftSIGHT let me import an object/Block from AutoCAD?

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

A block saved to your hard drive is a DWG file which can be brought into Draftsight. Use the Insert command.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Just found this thread via search "conveyor". Boy, Casio47, they threw you into cold water at the deep end. Planning factory layouts without knowledge of CAD...nice employer you have.

But you're in good hands with ReMark. He'll get you on the right track...

I also work in a big factory setting and design conveyor layouts too. (P+F, EMS, Skid Conveyors, Skillet Conveyors, Slat Conveyors, etc.) I just use a diffent tool; MicroStation with add-on TriCAD Conveyor Module. I've got a bit of FactoryCAD experience, but it's been 9 years since I've used the software.

Good luck with your "training" - CAD work is a lot of fun!!