Need help joining a 3D helix

Buzza

Hey all,

I'm new here but have been reading the forums for a few months looking for help, I usualy find what I'm after but this time I'm stuck :(.

I'm trying to join a helix onto a 90 degree bend but I can't get the 2 ends to marry up.

I am self taught so I don't know all the commands but I understand the concept from using Maya / 3Ds Max in the past.

Also why do I see the diagonal lines at the end of the 90 degree?

Ihelix.jpg

Try using the 3DALIGN command.

Note: Did not work in this particular drawing.

Edited by ReMark
added the obvious

1. Click Home tab > ac.menuaro.gif Modify panel > ac.menuaro.gif 3D Align.
  2. GUID-78A20D48-F3E5-4388-A064-F0DA4630D7EF-low.pngSelect the objects that you want to align.
  3. Specify either one, two, or three source points and then the corresponding first, second, or third destination points. The first point is called the base point. The selected objects are moved from the source point to the destination point, and second and third points, if you specify them, rotate, and tilt the selected objects.

Source: AutoCAD HELP files.

Thanks for the welcome / replies so far.

Here is the file.

Going to have a look at the 3d align command now.

I have done the coil in 5 seperate pieces, is this the best way?

Coil2.dwg

Edited by Buzza

I recommed learing the UCS - ZA - O options to create stuff lined up if you do a lot of this type of work.

In my experience, few understand the ZA option of UCS

UCS ZA.png

I recommed learing the UCS - ZA - O options to create stuff lined up if you do a lot of this type of work.

In my experience, few understand the ZA option of UCS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37895[/ATTACH]

Good point and solution JD, better than 3DALIGN in a case like this. :beer:

If the OP were successful in lining things up the two vertical sections would be at a slight angle rather than straight up and down.

Another good point, that the bend should not actually be a right angle,

but extrapolated from the angle of the helix and terminating parallel to the Z axis. :beer:

Ive had another play this morning, couldnt get the 3d align working or the UCS Z Axis.

I think its worked out pretty good this time. I originally wanted the vertical pipe section to be seperated abit with a gap between them. to achieve that the helix would of had to have about 1.8 / 1.9 turns but this set 1 end off on an odd angle. I presume the ucs z axis would of let me work on that angle abit eaiser. Using a full 2 turns left me work on the standard top/front/left planes which made the right angles abit easier. It's still not aligned 100% but it looks ok.

Thanks for everyones advice.

Attached Update: Coil2.dwg

"It's just not good, it's good enough." Is this the level of accuracy you aspire to?

I think if you put a little more effort into it you can get it aligned 100% and it will look better than "ok".

Ive had another play this morning, couldnt get the 3d align working or the UCS Z Axis.

Be aware that there is a significant difference between UCS Z option and UCS ZA option. This is what I referred to earlier as most not understanding the significance.

If you really want to do stuff like this http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%207.pdf :lol: