Flattening a .... somewhat large 3d hospital ground floor to a 2d floor plan

amylmc

Hello,

This is rather exciting:). Was wondering would anybody have any idea how to solve this problem of 'Flattening a large 3d model (hospital ground floor) to a 2d floor plan drawing'. The 3d model was made in Rhino and I saved it as a .dwg file because Rhino kept crashing with the command 'make 2d' (file too large maybe :/).

I don't know AutoCAD 3d :unsure: so now, I'm trying to just change the line layers and eventually plot it all, but sometimes when I save the progress.... AutoCAD will delete sections of my work sometimes :/

Disastrous I know but I thought I would give this forum a try :), any help would be amazing

You can try the Flatten command but it only works on 3D solids. Not sure if your model is made of solids or faces. You can also try flatshot. It will create a new 2D block of your model. You can tell it to hide or show obscured lines. Both might require some clean-up.

Thanx for the help, I've tried both commands twice and the file just freezes :/ I think I'll have to go back into rhino and make 2D small sections at a time, then put it back into AutoCAD to fix up line weights. Damnit. Thankyou anyways :)

Something up with the file then I guess. If it freezes both in Rhino and AutoCAD. Open AutoCAD but not that file yet and click on the big red "A" in the top left corner. Select Recover and then select that dwg file. Might or might do anything but again worth a shot.

the file is only 420.530MB, but I have several detailed kiosk and cafeteria furniture models that i downloaded from the net.

my brother built my tower for me, I'm not all that familiar with specs but this is what it is

8192MB RAM

Intel ® Core ™ i5 CPU

760@2.8GHz (4 CPUS)~2.8GHz

Windows 7 64 bit

lol don't know if that's any help or not.... :/

420MB? Am I reading that correctly?

That's about 11 times larger than any drawing file I've ever had to push around using AutoCAD on a computer similar to yours.

hmmh.... yep:? just checked it again . that is correct. (no wonder why my laptop and the uni computers were struggling today).. :/ I'm slowly extracting wireframes from the downloaded models and then make 2d'ing them. .. will be a long night lol

Yeah, that might explain why your laptop was making that strangling noise. 8MB of RAM is not going to be enough to push that puppy around and your graphics chip/card was probably wheezing as well. You should seriously consider using xrefs.

Try using SECTIONPLANE. If it is still too big, put some of the objects on different layers and take multiple sections, then you can explode the blocks and combine the objects (or leave them as blocks).

At this point, with a file size of well over 400MB, I don't think there is any AutoCAD command that will ultimately work. The problem is the OP's setup cannot handle the demands being put on it.

Due to the size of the file, I would break it up into multiple files and then XREF those files into a working file. Then I would use a section plane to generate a plan view.

A while back I had a file that was huge (not as large as this one, but pretty big), and my computer was having trouble using it (and I have a pretty beefy CAD grade workstation). I broke it up into 15 or more different files, used XREFs and had no problems with it then.

Here is a link to the results of my test: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?60097-3d-blocks&p=408544&viewfull=1#post408544

The file had over 100 different windows with varying trim options, plus it had all of the framing members and finishes that needed to be applied in the field. We only supplied the windows, but the GC asked us to lay everything out to help him make sure it was installed correctly.

Edited by SuperCAD