Launch Autocad to the "Choose a Template" dialog box?

kjkeating

When I start AutoCad, I want it to open to a dialog box that lets me choose from my folder of personal templates. I know that STARTUP = 1 essentially does this, but the interface isn't quite as user-friendly as what I see from clicking NEW with the following settings:

STARTUP = 0

Options>Files>Template Settings>Default Template File Name for QNEW = None

With these settings, AutoCad will still open its own default template: acad.dwt (or acadiso.dwt). My understanding is that renaming these files so AutoCad can't find them will force the application to show the dialog box I want, pointed to the folder I specify in Options>Files>Drawing Template File Location.

If that's so, what is the file path for finding the acad.dwt file in Windows 7?

If not, is it possible to get AC to launch to the dialog I want using STARTUP = 0?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Perhaps this image will help you, maybe not.

If you already know the folder location on your computer, why not just set it by using the browse button?

setting template folder and QNEW.jpg

Thanks, Dadgad. That pic does give me the file path I was looking for, but renaming the files didn't change the application's behavior. It still opens to its own default template. Maybe it can't be done the way I thought.

Thanks, Dadgad. That pic does give me the file path I was looking for, but renaming the files didn't change the application's behavior. It still opens to its own default template. Maybe it can't be done the way I thought.

You do understand that you can assign your own preference to the QNEW default template, right?

I know that I can open to a template of my choosing, but the AC help suggests that I can open to a dialog box if no specific template is specified and STARTUP = 0:

"Displays the Select Template dialog box, or uses a default drawing template file set in the Options dialog box, on the Files tab"

Make a copy of your desktop icon and edit the properties after the /p "myprofile" add /t "f:/server/dir1/mytemplate" etc rename the description Template1

Thanks BIGAL. I don't see where to make these changes in the shortcut properties, but it's not a problem.

It's just that when a program seems like it's supposed to behave a certain way and it doesn't, then either something's wrong or I don't understand how it's really supposed to act, and that irks me (even if there's an effective work-around). Thanks, though.

Copy the application icon (on yor desktop?), right click, choose properties, make the noted changes to the "Target" property. Be sure to change the name of this version of your application icon to something indicative for clarity. :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...
I know that I can open to a template of my choosing, but the AC help suggests that I can open to a dialog box if no specific template is specified and STARTUP = 0:

"Displays the Select Template dialog box, or uses a default drawing template file set in the Options dialog box, on the Files tab"

Did you ever find a solution to this short of creating another shortcut to Autocad 2012?

Like you, I read the Autocad Help to mean that if there is no QNEW template specified, that Autocad would open up the Select Template dialog box.

It doesn't as far as I can tell.

I have been trying to figure out how to do it since the Dummies for Autocad 2012 assumes that it can be done, and the AC helps says it can be done, but it does not work as claimed!

After changing Qnew to blank you probably need to resave the profile otherwise next time you start it ignores what you have set.

A way to do this is save a new profile make current then edit your Target line in your desktop icon after the /p like above to match location of new profile saved.

From the Control Panel, I chose the option to Re-install AutoCad.

Now I get the choose a template dialog box.

Weird.

Now, I have to figure out how to draw something and be able to print it out. Didn't realize that was going to be such a big deal. :(