Phantom block...

Hi,

I have this weird block in my drawing that needs changing, but when I double click it, it does not show up in the block list and I am unable to edit it. There are no x-refs attached and the file is a 'Trusted Autodesk dwg file', or whatever.

Any ideas or help? Sorry, I am unable to upload any screenshots or files as my company has disabled Java :@

If it does not need to stay a block, than I would suggest using EXPLODE. This will inable you to make adjustments. And you can always make it back into a block by using WBLOCK. But if this is a block origianally made by the company, you may just want to ask your supervisor or someone who knows about the company blocks.

If the block contains needed attributes the BURST command will work better than EXPLODE. It allows you to retain all the entity properties, fields and attributes the block contains

@ RobDraw: The name is '*U37' so my guess is it was pasted as a block, but still it should show up in the list. What do you mean by 'edit in place'?

@ Mike Taylor: I don't think it had any special properties, fields or attributes, but thanks I'll try that BURST command sometime, never knew of it before now.

Anyway, I did explode it, I had no other options at the time, my post was more aimed at gaining some experience in case I encounter this issue again in the future. Thanks all for the replies.

what you have there is an anonymous block. You can tell as it begins with a *. There are many ways they appear but are often from dynamic blocks that have lost their parent name.

The "illegal" start charachter makes them difficult to edit but you can sometimes RENAME them to gain access. Have a search here for anonymous block. You will find some LISP routines that will help you if you are allowed to run them at your company.

Thanks, but I have no idea what I'm looking for in LISP routines regarding this issue. Also, the block has been exploded now so I have no way to test any possible LISP's...