Need help rotating an object

knattagh

Hello,

I am using Autodesk Inventor 2013

I have a file with 2 objects in it, I want to rotate one of the objects and insert it into the other object at an angle as shown in the pic below. (I have also attached the file).

I do not know how to rotate them separately. I think my problem is that when I went to start my second sketch (for the round object) I clicked on the cylinder as a reference point or something (I did this because it would not allow me to sketch until i clicked on something and that was the only thing it let me click on)

Thanks

Khash

[ATTACH]38003

[/ATTACH]goal.jpg

rpGYN3.ipt

There is so much wrong here - where to start??????????

You are in the wrong forum - this is the AutoCAD forum.

Sketch 1 is not constrained - I recommend you start here

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

If you want multi-body solids in a single file you should have clicked New Solid for your Revolution feature.

Multi-body solids.PNG

You can Rotate the body - but I suspect there is a better solution.

Rotate body.png

Let's back up a bit and compare the Real World to Inventor World.

In the real world a part is a part. In Inventor a part is an *.ipt file.

In the real world an assembly is a collection of parts. In Inventor an assembly is a *.iam file, a collection of *.ipt files.

In the real world a drawing is a sheet of paper, not a part, not an assembly - but a 2d sheet of paper with images representing a part or assembly. In Inventor a drawing is an *.idw file or a *.dwg file.

So you see Inventor World mimics the Real World. (SolidWorks and Pro/E do the same way.)

Now for some reason this really confuses people who have a hard time with file management.

But the guys and gals out on the shop floor have no trouble recognizing the difference between a part, an assembly and a drawing.

In Inventor World it is all 1s and 0s. If the number of files cooresponding the real world become difficult to manage - simply put them all in one folder.

Next question?

New Solid.png

Edited by JD Mather

In the real world a drawing is a sheet of paper, not a part, not an assembly - but a 2d sheet of paper with images representing a part or assembly. In Inventor a drawing is an *.ipt file or a *.dwg file.

I think you mean to say that an Inventor drawing is an *.idw or a *.dwg file?

I think you mean to say that an Inventor drawing is an *.idw or a *.dwg file?

oops, corrected above. But the OP seems to be gone. My guess a student - assignment was past due, never came back and I typed a lot of words for nothing.

• 1 year later...

Denimoth, I agree with you.

Even if the person asking the question doesn't take the advice given here, there's always someone else that can benefit from the answers found on this awesome website.

JD, Don't despair.

Your advice has been very helpful to me on many occasions.

Keep giving your input.