dimensions change when i explode detail

doGnation1

Hi:

I have a problem....when I explode a cad detail the dimensions change. How can a revert these back to the original dimensions before they were exploded? I need to work with the exploded detail so i can make changes....i use cad14 (stop laughing,,,,yeah i saw ya) :o...any help greatly appreciated...

Hi:

I have a problem....when I explode a cad detail the dimensions change. How can a revert these back to the original dimensions before they were exploded? I need to work with the exploded detail so i can make changes....i use cad14 (stop laughing,,,,yeah i saw ya) :o...any help greatly appreciated...

Nobody was laughing, honest.

Maybe the original dimensions had been overridden and when you explode they revert to the original.

D

Nobody was laughing, honest.

Maybe the original dimensions had been overridden and when you explode they revert to the original.

D

That is a very astute hypothesis. :beer:

Demonstrating once again that it is better to draw accurately than to be compelled

through sloppy work habits to take the easy way out and override dimensions.

I am assuming that someone else created the detail which is exhibiting this problematic behavior.

• 2 years later...

I am having this problem as well and was wondering if any of you had any more suggestions. The entire drawing was merged into one block so to change anything I had to explode it all. Oddly, the dimensions in feet,inch did not change but the ones in mm did. I believe that the dimensions I am working with were overridden as DOGE suggested.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I tried freexing the layer before exploding and there is only one dimstyle being used.

Thanks for any advice.

Unfortunately I don't think I can do that. The drawing was made by one of our equipment suppliers and it says do not distribute on it. I know that makes it hard to diagnose but I was wondering what other people did to get around this problem.

Since AutoCad can only work with one unit of measurement at a time, I would assume that the dimensions that were in millimeters were either overridden, or had a dimscale applied to them either in the dimstyle editor or in the properties window. It looks like a little research on those two items may get you in a better place. In the case of the dimscale, changing it back to 1 in the dimstyle editor may be all that is needed. Of course, which set of dimensions to change is the key, so you will have to find out whether your drawing units are in millimeters, or inches.

The first thing you want to do, is run the command -DWGUNITS without changing any of the selections to see what the actual drawing units are. Notice the hyphen. It is required.

Before you run -DWGUNITS, hit the F2 function key to expand the command line to a larger text window so you can see the lists of options all at once.

I think my problem was what zaphod showed in his drawing.

I ended up re scaling it and dimensioning what I needed.

Thanks Dana W for your advise as well.

@SLW210- I guess I could have done that, but it did not occur to me at the time. Who ever drew it had taken the entire drawing, Dimensions, lines, title block and all and made it into one object. It just seemed easier for me to just work with it in the normal model space.