control layers appearance locally

samifox

hello

using acad 2010

when i lock a layer its become faded which is very usful. as far as i8know there is a global variable that control it. i've come into situation wherei need locked layer but not faded. is there a local variable or a way to lockobjects rather than layers?

thanks

Shay

The variable that controls how much a locked layer is faded is LAYLOCKFADECTL - is that what you are after? Your question is a bit confusing for me...

to be simple , i want to lock the position of some objects but i dont want them to be faded (i have other xref which i want faded in the same drawing)

Thanks

Shay

Did you tried to set to 0 the above variable? If I understand you well, you are not bothered by the fact that the layer is locked, but by the faded appearance of the entities contained inside it.

By any chance the ones that you want faded are the ones from the xreferenced drawing? That is controled by another system variable named XDWGFADECTL.

You have two system variables to adjust; both will take value from 0 (no fade) to 90.

• LAYLOCKFADECTL = control fade of locked layers,
  • XDWGFADECTL = control fade of reference drawings.

The OP wants to be able to lock or pin (as it is called in other programs) certain objects in place without necessarily having to lock a layer. I don't think this can be done in AutoCAD at least without jumping through a few hoops. You may be able to do it with some clever use of blocks and layer management. I don't have time to be clever right now but give it some thought.