restore deleted xref or block

samifox

I suggest that you simply attach that xref again.

Or if you deleted the xref file, restore it from you garbage, and then attach it again to your drawing.

What method did you used to erase it? If is about the ERASE command and you din't closed yet that drawing or called again the said command, then the less known OOPS command will restore it.

I delete it using the del key. There must be away because all layers,block,etc of that xref are still there. I'm avoiding insert it again because of location issues.

as i explained. re-attach ask me for insertions point which i cant tell

Don't you have those .bak (backup) files wich you can recover? Maybe you have one of that drawing that is precisely the backup you need with the xref yet to be erased... It will go back in time and the changes you made will not exist, but the xref will still be there attached and not erased (of course if you have that .bak file).

Besides this i don't have any more suggestions to help.

EDIT:

What method did you used to erase it? If is about the ERASE command and you din't closed yet that drawing or called again the said command, then the less known OOPS command will restore it.

I delete it using the del key. There must be away because all layers,block,etc of that xref are still there. I'm avoiding insert it again because of location issues.

And one more thing, doesn't the del key use the ERASE command? I believe that it does. And in which case you can use that OOPS command.

Edited by pedro gonçalves
Adicional data.

Good drafting practices would dictate that the XREF was inserted at a specific point, depending on the type of drawing, it might be (0,0) or something that is incremental like (500',0). If this is something of a Civil nature, there may be some sort of record that you could get the information from. You might also be able to get the insertion point from the .bak file if you haven't saved more than once since you erased it. Or possibly some other copy or reasonable facimile of that file. Barring all that, you may have enought information in your file to line it up with the geometry that is in your drawing.

It would be nice if acad will have recycle bin like feature where you can restore deleted objects.because the xref is still in the database you just can see it. I'll sure take the coordinates next time I import an xref.

as i explained. re-attach ask me for insertions point which i cant tell

I don't know why this has happened to you. I had the same problem a few weeks ago, and when i reattached the xref it didn't ask for insertions points... It simply came wright to his proper place on my drawing... It was a cliped xref but i don't see any reason why that happened. As a matter of fact i had already to reattach entire xref's (without xclip) and is worked perfect when i reattached as well...

I don't know why this has happened to you. I had the same problem a few weeks ago, and when i reattached the xref it didn't ask for insertions points... It simply came wright to his proper place on my drawing... It was a cliped xref but i don't see any reason why that happened. As a matter of fact i had already to reattach entire xref's (without xclip) and is worked perfect when i reattached as well...

You got lucky. The OP, not so lucky.

There must be a reason why because if not i'm lucky many many times. In my office, my partners sometimes move xrefs (or the drawing himself) from one folder to another (we work under a intranet system and Autodesk360) and i have to do this procedure a lot, and it never wen't the OP's way.

Within the 'Attach External Reference' dialog there are multiple settings... One of which is the 'Insertion point' (bottom center).

Were this setting not selected, then the origin (0.00, 0.00, 0.00) would be used, rather than the user being asked to specify an insertion point.

Most companies have their drawing templates set to use the origin as the value of the INSBASE system variable (or the BASE command), which is why your external references can be placed in the correct location without specifying.

HTH

Within the 'Attach External Reference' dialog there are multiple settings... One of which is the 'Insertion point' (bottom center).

Were this setting not selected, then the origin (0.00, 0.00, 0.00) would be used, rather than the user being asked to specify an insertion point.

Most companies have their drawing templates set to use the origin as the value of the INSBASE system variable (or the BASE command), which is why your external references can be placed in the correct location without specifying.

HTH

Had to be a reason why :) Thank you very much for the explanation. Once i know that now, from now on i'll do that as well in my own drawings.