Gps coordinates (northing & easting)

NSSC

Hi,

I am having a little trouble with gps coordinates. I am trying to snap to a specific gps coordinate on my layout. I have a "gps block" that spits out the proper coordinates but i am not sure how to move to a specif point. My layout is set up such that when i use my "gps block" on a known point it spits out the northing and easting, however, when i try to actually type in a specif northing and easting, it is no where near the point i am looking for on the layout. Any help on this would be appreciated.

You're going to have to be more specific about what this "GPS block" does. If it's not giving you the correct numbers, either your data is off or your coordinate system is off.

You can get a free program from the Corps of Engineers that converts latitude and longitude to northing and easting, and probably vice versa.

The block simply provides a northing and easting. It does give me the correct northing and eastings. The problem i run into is when i want to manually find a specific point on my layout.

Example: I have a known northing and easting N2200000 E5700000, if i wanted to move to say, N2200005, E5700005, i try to manually input the coordinate. I know my easting represents my "X" axis and my northing represents my "Y" axis so i input "5700005,2200005" in the autocad command prompt. That point doesnt come anywhere near my known coordinate N2200000 E5700000 which it should because the coordinates are so close.

Example: I have a known northing and easting N2200000 E5700000, if i wanted to move to say, N2200005, E5700005, i try to manually input the coordinate. I know my easting represents my "X" axis and my northing represents my "Y" axis so i input "5700005,2200005" in the autocad command prompt. That point doesnt come anywhere near my known coordinate N2200000 E5700000 which it should because the coordinates are so close.

Either there's something you're not mentioning or there's something off about your layout. Is your UCS aligned with the state plane coordinates (or whatever coordinate system you're using)? How many points have you tried to locate? Have you used the ID command to get the coordinates of a known point in the layout?

Have you physically located both points or just the second one? In other words, did you take somebody's word for it that the first point is accurate, or does it have a label? It sounds elementary, but sometimes those are the easiest things to overlook.