Polar Arrays - Strange Behaviour

Boro Nut

I've noticed this annoying trait in AutoCAD 2012 when drawing a polar array that I hadn't noticed in previous versions. I used to get stuck in a loop having to repeatedly enter the number of items in the array trying to get it to move on to the next command prompt of what angle of fill I required.

Example

CMD = Enter number of items or [Angle between/expression] :

Ad infinitum...

I then discovered that this only seems to happen when the cursor is left over the centre of the array you clicked on. But if it's moved to one side the correct command prompt follows the Return key. This isn't intuitive as you have to leave go of the mouse to input the required number at the keyboard, so it tends to be wherever you just clicked, and you end up in the pointless loop.

This is quite annoying. Has it always been like this, or is this a glitch in 2012, or something unique to my computer? Or is it what Microsoft would helpfully describe as 'A Feature'?

Boro Nut

Having tested this on my computer I can confirm that it is happening the same thing for me.

I think it's part glitch and part feature. My guess (and this is just a guess) is that when you are still over the centerpoint, presumably with the OSnap still active, AutoCAD get confused to what input its suppose to listen to. On one hand you are typing something, on the other hand you are graphically showing somethng (the osnap). It would be interesting to know if it's the same thing when (if possible) the preview of the array is removed, does it do the same thing.

I had a similar thing where I selected an object and then typed a command, and the command didn't start. After a while I figured out it was because when I select an object and still hoover over a Grip-point AutoCAd thinks I am about to use the Grip-commands, and refuses to accept commands on the commandline. SO I have to move the cursor away from the grip, then I can start the command. Until someone (think it was Dadgad) pointed out the variable GRIPMULTIFUNCTIONAL that controls this.

DRAGMODE controls wheter the preview is shown or not, that however does not affect the glitch.

When I turned off OSnap it worked though - I hope it does the same for you. It is not really a fix, or at least perhaps not a useable fix depending on how you work (hitting F3 is easy if you are used to it) but in my mind if confirms my theory that its too much input for AutoCAD to handle.

Having tested this on my computer I can confirm that it is happening the same thing for me.

I think it's part glitch and part feature. My guess (and this is just a guess) is that when you are still over the centerpoint, presumably with the OSnap still active, AutoCAD get confused to what input its suppose to listen to. On one hand you are typing something, on the other hand you are graphically showing somethng (the osnap). It would be interesting to know if it's the same thing when (if possible) the preview of the array is removed, does it do the same thing.

I had a similar thing where I selected an object and then typed a command, and the command didn't start. After a while I figured out it was because when I select an object and still hoover over a Grip-point AutoCAd thinks I am about to use the Grip-commands, and refuses to accept commands on the commandline. SO I have to move the cursor away from the grip, then I can start the command. Until someone (think it was Dadgad) pointed out the variable GRIPMULTIFUNCTIONAL that controls this.

Tiger, I wonder how you have your Coordinate Data Entry prioritized?

Might that override the GRIPMULTIFUNCTIONAL input issue you described, although I recall how happy you were when you found it could be turned off. :D

I set mine to prioritize object snaps, but you might like this setting, then be able to turn your GRIPMULTIFUNCTIONALs back on.

priority for coordinate data entry.JPG

Thanks guys. I'll have to live with it I suppose. At least I know how to work around it, but my muscle memory is so ingrained I still do it every time.