Setting default Workspace settings and document template

Chickenhawk72

I work in IT support at a large engineering college, we have over 100PCs which are used by 100s of students. I have created a system image for Windows 7 which includes all of the CAD/CAM software that the college teaches, including AutoCAD Mechanical 2013, and distributed this to the PCs.

When AutoCAD is launched it has the default Workspace view which includes the ribbon and most of the buttons, the tutors want this to open in Classic Mode with changes to the toolbars and buttons. They also want the document view to be A3 size 2D view by default, I have managed to create a template for this.

Could someone please advise how I set these Workspace and Template views to be the defaults for all users, regardless of whether they have used the PC before or not. The college do not use roaming profiles, so it's no good anyone suggesting this. I am quite comfortable with editing system files and the registry, so it's no problem if that is what's needed. If it turns out to be an edit in HKey_Current_User that is required, we are able to push this out via Group Policy in AD.

Is it an OS Image, or an image of the AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 software itself? Do you not use a deployment instead? This can further help us assist you.

Also, I'd be wanting to know why these tutors find it necessary to go backwards with the interface. The Ribbon has been active for four versions now and I wouldn't see this as helpful to students. They get comfortable with a Workspace that's trying to be phased out, so when they graduate/move on into the real world, it might be more hindering than helpful. Has there been any discussion as to why the tutors want this? Old textbooks maybe? Just curious is all.

This is a fully sysprepped OS image, rather than a deployment. As we use about 6 different CAD/CAM applications this is the quickest and easiest method of distribution for us.

I'm not sure why they're wanting to use the old interface, although I do believe much of the industry in this area (West Yorkshire, England) tend to be a few versions behind the current release, whether AutoCAD or other software.

I see.

I'm not an I.T. personnel by any means, however I am keen on hardware and setups through years of personal experience. When you create the images, are you using some type of setup software? Or do you set up a workstation, then image the system when it's the way you like it? It seems that all one would have to do is simply open AutoCAD, make the necessary changes to the Profile, Workspace and the Startup Templates, then make the image.

I'll await your response to see how you are performing your setups.