Exporting Civil 3D data to 3D CAD

Testik

Hi all

New to the forum, I have a tricky problem for me but maybe it's simple for someone else.

I want to take topographic contour data of a land mass and turn it into a 3D CAD model for CNC milling operations.

I have figured out a way to do it, but it is not practical because the data is too large for my computer to process. Also I have no idea if the way I'm doing it is the best way.

I'll outline how I currently do it:

1: Download contour data from a site, I get this data as a .dwg. It has contour lines that have different elevations. (currently I'm testing by using a small island)

2: I open this .dwg in Civil 3D, create a surface and use the contours to define the surface. This seems to work great. I'm new to Civil 3D and can't believe how good it was at creating this 3D surface.

3: Use the _AeccSurfaceExtractObjects command in order to extract Triangles and obtain 3D FACEs

4:Use the EXTRUDE command to create solids from triangles

5:UNION all those new 3D Solids. I use the BREP command here also.

6: I now have a single solid which I can export as a .iges, then open in solidworks.

This current method works in theory, but eventually I want to have a 3D CAD model of a mountain range. Currently I'm testing with a small Island and the file is large and takes a long time to do each step. I've also tried with a larger data set but I couldn't get past step 4. My computer just froze.

I have 3 questions:

1: Is this general method the best way to do it?

2: Can the triangulated surface in Civil 3D be smoothed?

3: Is there anything that can be done to reduce the filesize so my computer can practically work with it?

Thanks

Hi all

New to the forum, I 6: I now have a single solid which I can export as a .iges, then open in solidworks.

....but eventually I want to have a 3D CAD model of a mountain range.

I have 3 questions:

1: Is this general method the best way to do it?

Thanks

I suggest you look at getting a 3d printer or one of the online 3d print shops.

Edited by Murph_map
spelling error