What is wrong with this block

dsibbo

When the block is in a drawing and I click it, it takes me to block editor.

However if I go to it in block editor and test block it allows me to change the attributes.

Why does clicking the block go to block editor and not allow me to change its attributes as it does when I test block.

Thanks.

Section Markers.dwg

Have you added the ATTDEFs after you first created the block? What you have there is the earlier definition (without the attdefs). If you ATTSYNC (as Rob says) the block will work as expected.

Thanks. I typed the Attsync command and selected the block and this has worked.

Can you explain what I had done wrong for this to happen?

Also I have added a linear stretch action to each end of the block so I can stretch them to suit, however everything stretches except the REF tag. Why wont this move with the stretch??

firstly, normally when you change a block all current instances of that block are updated and you see all existing blocks change on screen. This DOES NOT happen if you make a change to attributes, either adding them or just moving them. All existing blocks will retain the old attribute information. My guess is that you added the attribute after inserting the block. What you need to do is ATTSYNC the block to update all the blocks with the new attribute information. You don't NEED to attsync when you change blocks UNLESS you have changed attributes.

For you second question. Have you LOCKED the attribute definition? I know it sounds wrong but the attribute MUST be locked if you want it to move with a strech (or similar).

If you have locked the attribute post the block again and I will have another think. However, you will have to be quick for me to look - its Friday and I'm off in 40 minutes.

Firstly, I don't know why you didn't get an upload button. Maybe you didn't go through to the "advanced" page? AFAIK there are no limits.

Now, why isn't your block working?

It took me a long time to work it out. I recreated all the actions and it still didn't work. The clue is in the red text in the attribute box and the fact that the attributes moved but in a totally random fashion. It is bad practice to have the same tagname used more than once in a single block and this demonstrates one of the problems. AutoCAD can't keep track of which attribute it has moved. The quick solution here is to rename one of the attributes to REF1 (and ATTSYNC your block) and all should be well.

Cheers dbroada, just tried what you suggested and it worked. Also noted what you said about same tagnames and will remember for future blocks.

I am sure early versions of AutoCAD warned you of having duplicate tag names and didn't allow you to do so. They are now allowed but are highlighted red. Under normal use it isn't a problem but if you have any LISP or VBA routines that interogate attributes it is very difficult to verify which one is which. And as we have seen here trying to move them in dynamic blocks with stretches doesn't work either.