Paper Space Templates and Set-ups

PPCmatt

1) Which of the crypically-named Templates in AutoCAD LT 2013 for MAC would provide me with an A1 Portrait sheet layout?

2)Is anyone else having issues whereby they can enter metric measures, but the display in Model Space is something else (either coordinate or imperial), and in Paper Space, View Port Windows is only in Imperial Scaling rather than simple 1:200 format? Is there anyway to get CAD to DISPLAY in metric?

I've just started with AutoCADLT 2013 and can't figure out which of the LAYOUT TEMPLATES equates to a A1 sheet, with Portrait orientation and Metric Scaling (of viewports).

Which of the ideosyncratic names would give me that paper space?

If one does not exist, is there a way to create my own layout in this version of AutoCAD

1) Which of the crypically-named Templates in AutoCAD LT 2013 for MAC would provide me with an A1 Portrait sheet layout?

2)Is anyone else having issues whereby they can enter metric measures, but the display in Model Space is something else (either coordinate or imperial), and in Paper Space, View Port Windows is only in Imperial Scaling rather than simple 1:200 format? Is there anyway to get CAD to DISPLAY in metric?

Welcome to the forum. :)

I have never used LT, nor (much as I love Macs) done cad on a MAC.

In the full version of Autocad on PC, there is a commandline command -DWGUNITS which is very good for clarifying the units used in your drawing data base.

Press F2 to show your commandline history as you use it, because you want to be able to see about 8 or 10 lines at once, to better understand the options.

It sounds like you are working on an IMPERIAL template, and perhaps would prefer a METRIC template.

Metric template names end with ISO. The default templates in Autocad are Imperial.

It is generally a good idea to start a new thread for each question you might have, as the title of this thread has very little to do with

the questions which you are hoping to get answered.

Welcome to the forum.

I have never used LT.

In the full version of Autocad on PC, there is a commandline command -DWGUNITS which is very good for clarifying the units used in your drawing data base, additionally you can reset them here, just follow the prompts.

Press F2 to show your commandline history as you use it, because you want to be able to see about 8 or 10 lines at once, to better understand the options.

Metric template names end with ISO or METRIC. The default templates in Autocad are Imperial.

The image shows you a choice of 2 metric A1 templates,

the difference between them being the type of plotstyles for which they

have been designed.

If when selecting your template from the SELECT TEMPLATE DIALOG, you click on the little arrow to the right of the OPEN button, in the lower right corner,

you can start with a blank METRIC or IMPERIAL template (from scratch).

A1 metric templates.JPG

EDIT: I came back and stuck this in after I found something that I didn't think AutoCad LT had, even after using it for the last 4 years. I guess I never needed to look for them.

Holey Cr*p. I just found them. They are named Tutorial-march.dwt(metric architectural) and Tutorial-mmfg.dwt(metric manufacturing). Both of these come with A1 layouts complete with sample title blocks.

Where the heck were they before? Maybe I really never looked before since I have always had a design center full of anything I needed. Sorry if I got anybody goin' down the wrong road.

Now you can read what I wrote about setting up a raw template as an ISO A1 drawing. It's more fun to do it yourself anyway. (OOC thread where are you when we need you.)

END OF EDIT.

You'll be looking for a template named AcadltISO.dwt.

The template doesn't force your paper size, you do. You can have several different layout sizes in the same drawing.

While you are in drawing1.dwg type qnew in the command field, hit enter and then select the Metric template button, or click the metric check box on the pop up window. Do a Save As mymetricA1.dwg or something you like. DO NOT save the template drawing as the original name after you have made changes in it. It is the factory default template and you WILL need it later.

You can close drawing1.dwg if you like, now too.

A1 is an ISO metric paper size. You set that in your layout manager.

Click on a layout tab to activate, (or go into) the layout. Then, right click the tab. Select page setup manager from the resulting menu. Click the Modify button. Now you are in the page set up dialog. Select your Printer/Plotter first. Now when you click the Paper Size menu button on the dialog, you will see all the paper size options the selected printer/plotter can handle. Pick the one you need. The ISO A1 is usually about the sixth one down from the top of the list. If you don't have a plotter handy select the dwg to pdf.pc3 plotter. You can set up pretty much any paper size to a pdf, and then change your printer/plotter later.

Now, you can either draw a border and title block on your layout or insert one there as a block from the design center by navigating to another drawing that already has one set up for use.

You can also change your printer/plotter, paper, and some other stuff, from the Plot dialog and have the option to Apply To Layout from there.

Edited by Dana W

Welcome to the forum.

I have never used LT.

In the full version of Autocad on PC, there is a commandline command -DWGUNITS which is very good for clarifying the units used in your drawing data base, additionally you can reset them here, just follow the prompts.

Metric template names end with ISO or METRIC. The default templates in Autocad are Imperial.

The image shows you a choice of 2 metric A1 templates,

the difference between them being the type of plotstyles for which they

have been designed.

If when selecting your template from the SELECT TEMPLATE DIALOG, you click on the little arrow to the right of the OPEN button, in the lower right corner,

you can start with a blank METRIC or IMPERIAL template (from scratch).

I am not sure LT comes with fully set up templates. I can't find any in mine. All I have are the default blank ones. No sample title blocks and borders either. Glad I remembered to save some of that stuff from all the trial versions I have tested over the years.

EDIT: Holey Cr*p. I just found them. They are named Tutorial-march.dwt(metric architectural) and Tutorial-mmfg.dwt(metric manufacturing). Where the heck were they before? Maybe I really never looked before since I have always had a design center full of anything I needed. Sorry if I got anybody goin' down the wrong road. I am going back and put this in my first post before the OP reads it in the morning.

Edited by Dana W

You can use "scalelistedit" to add as many scales and which ever format you like.

You certainly can add any additional scales to your Scale List, but you will not be able to change the

drawing data base units there. If you click, for instance IMPERIAL, on your DEFAULT SCALE LIST on the

USER PREFERENCES tab in your options, and the template upon which it is drawn is METRIC?

It won't accept that input, although it looks like it does. If you then click back into the DEFAULT SCALE LIST

you will see that it is still METRIC, and the only way I know to change that midstream is with the -DWGUNITS

command as previously described.

Although DIMSTYLES can display your choice of output, as adjusted in the MODIFY DIMSTYLE dialog,

and ALTERNATE UNITS dimensions.

I am talking about the actual DATABASE units. So that when you choose to set your units to meters,

and enter a distance of 1, the resulting line is 1 meter long. :)

I bet that you are happy to have the forum during your prescribed rest period, to keep yourself entertained.

Edited by Dadgad

• 4 weeks later...

Had exactly the same issue here, also on Autocad LT 2013.

1) Use the command scalelistedit

2) Click reset on the right hand side of the box that appears

3) Choose Metric or imperial

Thats it.

If I am not mistaken, after you reset it, if you return to check you will find that it is still whatever dimensional system (Metric or Imperial) it was before you reset it.

Which is why I strongly suggest the use of the -dwgunits command, with your commandline text window expanded.

If I am not mistaken, after you reset it, if you return to check you will find that it is still whatever dimensional system (Metric or Imperial) it was before you reset it.

Which is why I strongly suggest the use of the -dwgunits command, with your commandline text window expanded.

I would go with post #10.

Dadgad - what do you mean when you write "if you return to check you will find that it is still whatever dimensional system it was before you resent it"?

With nothing drawn in a drawing, going from imperial to metric is nothing more than using Units and picking decimal. Then when you draw, a unit is mm, cm or M, you pick one in your head and continue that way.

Maybe I am missing something but that is how I do things without any issues.

Good point, I was mistakenly talking about the DEFAULT SCALE LIST, which is available in OPTIONS, as shown in the image. Should one try to change from Metric to Imperial here, it won't tell you that you can't, implying that you can, but when you use the RESET option the existing template based dimensional unit bias will be preserved. :beer:

By way of curiosity, and with loads of respect ... bordering on awe, have you ever used the -dwgunits command?

editing default scale list user preferences.jpg