My first model from scratch - our royal living room - help, please?

AlienBZ

Just started my first model from scratch - our living room (royal living room actually), and I need some help.

as you can see from the parameters, the dimensions are: L = 49, W = 4, H = 24 (since our living room's actual dimensions are: L = 12, w = 0.5, h = eight) all these measurements are in feet (as I don't know too much metric, only that 36 inches is about 1 meter, 6 feet is about 2 meters) so please bear with me.

one wall in our livingroom is 9 feet long (this is opening into stairwell/front door) and another wall has a big picture window, a third wall has a trapezoid cutout in it (this is opening into hallway/bedroom).

Problem # 1: I don't know how to cut shapes out (for window/trapezoid opening) into walls - how (is this in Max Bible - where?) do I do this?

Problem # 2: When I try to shorten the L of one wall (to provide for stairwell/front door entryway) all the other walls (which were created by cloning as an instance) shorten with it - how to I prevent this so that I can change dimensions on only 1 wall and leave all others alone (intact/unchanging)?

See screenshot:

Thanks in advance.

royal livingroom.jpg

Edited by AlienBZ

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienBZ

• Cad64

• markwheeler303

• Raudel Solis

Answer to problem #1 = Look in your Max Bible for information on Boolean and/or Pro-Boolean operations. Or use Swift Loop to place edges where you want doors and windows. Then delete polygons to create openings.

Answer to problem #2 = When you clone objects, if you want to edit them individually, clone them as a Copy, not an Instance.

• 4 weeks later...

triple_facepalm.jpg

make your floor before you make walls. make doorways with pro boolean.

REQUEST A TUTORIAL and I will make one :)

just give me a basic sketch

• 10 months later...

Well, I got this far in our "royal living room" model, even got my diagonal cuts in the walls like I wanted when I first posted this thread - except all of my walls are hollow!

how to I get my walls (made out of standard primitives, box) to become solid so that when I apply the textures (wall color/wall plaster, paint textures) it'll look real?

look --

capture_10182013_233640.jpg

I believe we have already discussed this previously, but here it is again.

Depending on what type of opening you're trying to close up, here are a couple of options.

1. In Edge selection mode, select 2 edges that are opposite each other and then click "Bridge"

2. In Border selection mode, select an open border and then click "Cap"

Bridge.jpg

Cap.jpg

Here's another option.

Switch to Polygon selection mode and then click the "Create" button. Now select each of the 4 vertices that make up the polygon face you want to create. Make sure you select them in order as shown in the image below. Click once on the 1st vertex, once on the 2nd vertex, once on the 3rd vertex and then double click on the 4th vertex to create the polygon.

Create.jpg

Create2.jpg

Here's another option.

Switch to Polygon selection mode and then click the "Create" button. Now select each of the 4 vertices that make up the polygon face you want to create. Make sure you select them in order as shown in the image below. Click once on the 1st vertex, once on the 2nd vertex, once on the 3rd vertex and then double click on the 4th vertex to create the polygon.

Thank you very much.

I don't recall seeing these instructions before, I'd make good use of them.

btw, what do you think of my "our royal living room" model with its diagonal cuts?

now I can work on my Church WIP model and finish that (at long last - whew!).

btw, what do you think of my "our royal living room" model with its diagonal cuts?

It looks fine, but considering the fact that you started this model a year ago, I would say you're working way too slow. What you have created should have only taken about 15 minutes. You really need to pick up the pace or you're never going to finish this project.

If you want my advice, stop jumping around from project to project. Just stick with this living room and finish it before you start messing around with characters and animation again.

• 2 weeks later...

still working on our royal living room (will get to fixing the hollowed walls) am have d/l this tv set from one of the free model sites, got a video off of youtube (its a hospital scene - surgical operation, am intending to use it (or certain clips of it at least) in this movie I'm working on putting together at this time, I'm trying to place this hospital video on the picture tube of this tv model I've d/l and placed in the living room (following a youtube tut on how to place avi files as text on models, it says to use material editor, i paused it at this point to try to follow tut), at this point i'm trying to select only the tv's picture tube viewing area to place the avi file, i tried the select button, but it sees it as a whole object so I tried exploding the model in edit geometry but it won't work.

how do i do this?

capture_10282013_150640.jpg

ok, i tried selecting the wall by the edges > bridge, but it just doesn't work for me, it does nothing at all. btw these walls have been converted to editable poly from the quad menu beforehand.

how do i get your instructions on fixing these hollowed living room walls to work?

capture_10282013_153848.jpg

just saw the second "bridging" option you posted - well i tried it but i got this weird result - what am i supposed to do to get this to work?

capture_10282013_155313.jpg

how do i get your instructions on fixing these hollowed living room walls to work?

Well, first of all you need to FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTIONS. From the screen shot you posted, it looks as though you have selected a whole mess of internal and external edges.

In my instructions I said to select 2 edges that are opposite each other and then click Bridge. I even gave you a visual reference to help show you how to do it. I thought my explanation was pretty clear.

i figured out how to do it - look

you have to bridge - in edge selection mode - each segment one at a time, and when it wouldn't bridge the wall parts adjacant to the floor, i simply selected the extra polygons along the floor where i made the opening thru the wall, and poof, it worked - bridging the edges flush with the floor.

i really like max, its a neat program.

capture_10282013_172529.jpg

i figured out how to do it - look

you have to bridge - in edge selection mode - each segment one at a time.

Yes, that is precisely what I told you to do. Select (2) edges that are opposite each other. Not a whole bunch of random edges. You need to read my instructions carefully and follow them exactly as I have written them, otherwise we are both just wasting our time.

ok, i got this far, now how do I bridge this section?

i tried both the edge selection > bridge, and clicking the polygons, but it didn't work, what do i do here?

capture_10282013_183308.jpg

capture_10282013_183730.jpg

capture_10282013_183237.jpg

I can't tell what you're trying to do? What section?

I already gave you 3 different methods to bridge or cap polygons. If it's not working then you're not doing it right or there is a problem with your mesh.

I already gave you 3 different methods to bridge or cap polygons. If it's not working then you're not doing it right or there is a problem with your mesh.

well, i'll try to catch the capping another time. for now i've started on another area of our royal living room model - adding the shag rug.

i'm following this tut that shows how to add hair and fur to a model.

http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=179&search=hair%20and%20fur#.Um8RklMW5kQ

to start off with, i added a plane for the living room floor, then i added the H & F modifier > polygon select > spine to grow the fair/rug shag strands.

now, before I add the texture (a jpeg I d/l from google images) I'd like to make the rug's hair strands shorter to look more like a real shag rug - but how to I do this?

capture_10282013_204305.jpg

Edited by AlienBZ

i did it. I chose the border selection mode > cap, and it worked! (for clarity in viewing my work area, I had to hide the plane with the hair created a few moments ago).

look -

capture_10282013_211306.jpg

i'm following this tut that shows how to add hair and fur to a model.

http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=179&search=hair%20and%20fur#.Um8RklMW5kQ

to start off with, i added a plane for the living room floor, then i added the H & F modifier > polygon select > spine to grow the fair/rug shag strands.

now, before I add the texture (a jpeg I d/l from google images) I'd like to make the rug's hair strands shorter to look more like a real shag rug - but how to I do this?

Under the Hair and Fur "General Parameters", adjust the "Cut Length".

You really need to start playing around with settings just to see what they do. Don't rely on me to tell you everything. Just jump in and start tweaking the settings. Experimentation is one of the best ways to learn.

The other thing to do is watch tutorials. The web is full of Studio Max tutorials. All you have to do is look. Here is one that pretty much covers everything regarding hair and fur:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so far I've added the wall color textures and rug texture, adjusted the length of the fur on the shag rug. Here's my render.

how does it look (TV wood texture added, too)?

living rm render as of 11.12.13.jpg