• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• jasongetsdown

• TimNewton

• SLW210

I'd double it to 8GB minimum if you consistently work with file sizes 18MB and above.

Note: That should have been 1.8MB not 18MB. 4GB RAM is sufficient in this case.

Edited by ReMark
corrected file size

I'd double it to 8GB minimum if you consistently work with file sizes 18MB and above.

Where do you see where jasongetsdown is using 18 MB files? I see 1800KB, which = 1.76MB and 300KB to 2.5MB. 4GB of RAM should be enough on 2D.

Can you post a drawing that has this problem?

Remember the song "Double Vision"? I inadvertently added an extra "0". Thank you for catching my faux pas. Yes, 4GB should be more than sufficient. Have to look elsewhere for the cause.

Have you tried this trick? Set the system HPQUICKPREVIEW to "Off". Does that make any difference?

Edited by ReMark

Advice from the blog nauseam website re: hatching is slow.

"If your hatching performance is poor, have you tried changing the values of system variables to turn off features to see if the problems persist? Try HPQUICKPREVIEW = 0, HPDLGMODE = 1 and SELECTIONPREVIEW = 0. Also, if you are having display performance issues, try VTENABLE =0 and check using 3DCONFIG to see if your graphics card/driver combination is certified."

Changing those system variables have no effect. It's not a display performance issue, its a disk access issue, especially on a networked drive.

As I mentioned earlier, one of my support paths pointed to a networked drive. I made a local copy of this folder and pointed the support path there and the lag dropped significantly, but still did not go away. It remained because AutoCAD was still looking for acad.pat in the network drive location where the active drawing file was saved. Procmon shows this happening hundreds of times each time I select or deselect a hatch object.

I then saved the drawing file locally. There are still hundreds or sometimes thousands of file system events triggered each time I select or deselect a hatch object, but they are all local and the lag is reduced to a mere flicker.

So I can say pretty conclusively that the lag is a result of AutoCAD looking for support files on a networked drive (over and over again, hundreds of times). I have mitigated the problem by making all my support paths local, but to eliminate it I have to prevent AutoCAD from searching in the folder where the active drawing resides (because all my drawings are on a networked drive). I obviously don't want to copy files to my local drive every time I use them. Is there a setting that might prevent AutoCAD from looking for support files in the folder where the active drawing resides?

I have this same issue in AutoCAD 2013 LT on a standalone. The job I'm working off is saved to a network hard drive, although I have the same problem with jobs saved locally.

I find that it's to do with the Hatch ribbon loading/closing? When I start the HATCH command it takes quite a long time for the hatch ribbon to appear, then I find it slow to react (to things like changing angles etc). It's then often slow to exist the command also.

I was wondering if there was a way to revert back to the old style hatch dialog box which used to appear? in the hope that this may be quicker?

(I'm working on a HP laptop 6570b Probook:

Intel core i5-3210M

4Gb installed RAM

64bit OS Windows 7.

AutoCAD 2013 LT G.204.0.0

The job I'm currently having the issue in is a mere 2,377Kb. But it happens in ALL jobs I work on so I'm almost certain it's not file related.

Re: slow hatch. Have you tried setting HPMAXAREAS to zero?

BTW...You can force HATCH to revert to "classic" mode by setting HPDLGMODE to 1.

@bobsy852 I'm experiencing exactly the same thing.

@ReMark Setting HPMAXAREAS to 0 has no effect, but setting HPDLGMODE to 1 is a huge help!

BTW...You can force HATCH to revert to "classic" mode by setting HPDLGMODE to 1.

THIS improves things greatly! Thanks! :D

• 4 years later...
NO solutions? :(

What have you tried already that has failed?

Attach a copy of the problematic drawing to your next post. Someone here will have a look at it.