Does DIMEDIT have an icon

Behemothrex

Hey Gents,

Doing my reading and learning about dimensioning and so forth. In the book it is talking about using DIMEDIT but for the life of me I cannot find an icon for it in the ribbon.

I can activate the command in the command line with DED but the only icon in the ribbon is preset for oblique, and I want just the standard DIMEDIT.

They even show an icon in the book for it but in Autocad 2013 that icon is used for DIMOVERRIDE.

Is DIMEDIT just not included as an icon?

Thanks MSasu,

I figured a program like autocad would have a way to make a custom interface just haven't gotten that far yet. I know its not a big deal but little things like this get under my skin and I can't move ahead until I figure them out LOL.

If you look on the DIMENSIONS toolbar, there is one.

The icon with the pencil is DIMEDIT, the one with the paintbrush is DIMSTYLE.

You would use DIMSTYLE to create a new dimstyle, perhaps that is what you want to do, instead of editing a particular dimension or selection of dimensions?

There is another command DIMTEDIT specifically for editing dimension text on a selected group of dimensions.

The DIMOVERRIDE icon is slightly different.

Should you want to copy the DIMEDIT command, it is pretty simple to include it on your ANNOTATION panel of the ribbon, via the CUI.

DIMEDIT on toolbar.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Well I guess on my version of Autocad 2013 the standard dimedit icon is not included in the ribbon.

But thanks for the heads up about the CUI I was able to feel my way thru the process of adding the generic dimedit command to the dimensions ribbon.

So woot, my brain can stop obsessing about it now.

Thanks again!

Well I guess on my version of Autocad 2013 the standard dimedit icon is not included in the ribbon.

But thanks for the heads up about the CUI I was able to feel my way thru the process of adding the generic dimedit command to the dimensions ribbon.

So woot, my brain can stop obsessing about it now.

Thanks again!

I checked on 2013 also, and you are correct, it is not on the Annotation panel of the ribbon.

Look at it this way, you have learned a valuable new skill, the ability to do minor CUI customizations.

Excellent! :beer:

Indeed! I love learning little nuggets of info like this. And they usually only come from people that have use the program for a while.

So thanks again!

If you want to know a little more about adding icons to palettes, i would suggest this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?73946-Add-Blocks-to-my-own-Panel

I will give it a look, as I love to customize my stuff, but at this point I am not familiar enough with the program to realize what I want to customize yet LOL. I just knew that there was no DIMEDIT icon and it was driving me bonkers!

I have to ask, what part of KY are you from? and what part do you plan on getting a CAD position in?

I am down in Campbellesville, I am a transplant from the West Coast, its a long story but I am kind of stuck here for a bit so I am going to take advantage of the time to go back to school. As for where I am going to work, at this point I am simply looking to get educated in a field that seems at this point to have some decent opportunities. That is if I can figure out what aspect of CAD I want to go into LOL. Guess I will worry about that after I get deeper into the classes.

ok, well i know a few places in louisville that are hiring, one recquiring no previous experience or college lol. so let me know if you become interested.

• 8 months later...

Thank you for reminding me that they are ribbons and not toolbars. I typed in RIBBON and finally, my annotation ribbon cam back.

Since the thread has been resurrected... I notice that there is a DIMEDIT option in the Ribbon, namely Oblique. The OP did not say precisely what he wanted to use DIMEDIT for (and he may not have known at that point, other than for practice), but if Oblique is not the right option, one could always pick it, Cancel, then Enter to get to the basic command. Not clean, but still possible.

Since DIMTEDIT handles only one Dimension for Rotation, you might think that the DIMEDIT version would be the one included in the ribbon, but no, it's not. You could replace that via the CUI and save a step, if multiple selections are your norm. It gets more complicated mixing the DIMTEDIT and DIMEDIT options for Home, because of the Justify options; but for single edits, clicking on the Dimension and hovering over the text grip offers several options.