I need help drawing a industrial lifting hook in CAD 2013

sean214

My instructor sucks :x

I dont even know how to begin this drawing.

I need to draw it in ISO...I already have the template ready I just cant get it started. Please help me get started

dwg file

hw11.jpg

Edited by sean214
dwg file

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sean214

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• nod684

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My instructor sucks :x

I dont even know how to begin this drawing.

I need to draw it in ISO...I already have the template ready I just cant get it started. Please help me get started

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38356[/ATTACH]

IF this is to be drawin in ISO you should have at least 2 views

Welcome to the forum. :)

I am guessing that you mean in metric (ISO) units rather than in an Isometric view.

Draw it FULL SIZE.

You can scale it later through a viewport.

Or if for some reason you had to, you could just create a copy of it, and scale it by 50%.

In cad we always draw everything at FULL SCALE.

EVERYTHING.

Yes, you heard right, EVERYTHING.

Scaling is achieved through VIEWPORT scaling.

I am guessing that you mean in metric (ISO) units rather than in an Isometric view.

Draw it FULL SIZE.

Or if for some reason you had to, you could just create a copy of it, and scale it by 50%.

EVERYTHING.

is it what the OP meant? :lol:

silly me! i thought it is to be drawn in isometric :D

correct it should be drawn in metric... i have the template in metric ready ust dont know how to begin

Draw it FULL SIZE.

EVERYTHING.

You should start from the base of the hook (that it, the above part in your sketch). Draw for beginning a 320 x 16 rectangle and use it as a base for the rest of sketch.

The paper asks for a half size drawing; the best solution to achieve that is to draw it full size (1:1) and then load it on sheet using the Paper Space feature. If you don't know what is that, then still draw it 1:1 and later scale it down with 0.5 factor.

I admit that the sketch is a little difficult for a beginner, but judging his complexity I would guess that you have already some advance into the AutoCAD course for your instructor to ask for such assignment.

(Edit: Oops, the scale procedure was already described by Dagdad!)

HookMeUp.jpg

I could do it but I'm not sure I could explain it easily. Where the Fillet command doesn't work try using the Circle command with the TTR option. Pay close attention to where the center points of the various arcs are located. It makes a big difference. I had to sort of back into a couple of them since they are not directly called out dimension-wise.

i meant iso metric

...now what do you really mean?

The units are metric - as stated on the drawing.

Isometric is a 2d representation of 3d. You would use isometric grid, F5, isocircles and all that....

Might be easier to just model in 3D.

What does your instructor really want?

What chapter is this in the book? (looks like Giesecke - Technical Drawing)

I dont even know how to begin this drawing

I would expect that a student should be able to draw this without instruction by the time this is encountered in the book. (foundation to get here would have been covered weeks ago)

I'm still not sure what you want (isometric or simply AutoCAD iso template metric)

Get what you can on your own and then attach your dwg file here so that others can see where you need help.

You might want to lower your expectation. I got into the class 2weeks after the semester started and we just started working with cad 2013. I'm new to this program.

Your correct the units are metric.

I will post the dwg

Thanks

...now what do you really mean?

The units are metric - as stated on the drawing.

Isometric is a 2d representation of 3d. You would use isometric grid, F5, isocircles and all that....

Might be easier to just model in 3D.

What does your instructor really want?

What chapter is this in the book? (looks like Giesecke - Technical Drawing)

I would expect that a student should be able to draw this without instruction by the time this is encountered in the book. (foundation to get here would have been covered weeks ago)

I'm still not sure what you want (isometric or simply AutoCAD iso template metric)

Get what you can on your own and then attach your dwg file here so that others can see where you need help.

As I said earlier, it can be done you just have to pay attention to where certain center points of arcs are located. Two of the arcs, with radii of 102 and 152, may be problematic for those not familiar with drafting techniques.

If you don't want to use the Arc command you could always resort to using the Circle command and trim away the portions you don't need.

Some of the commands I used were line, arc, circle, trim, fillet and offset.

yes, thanks...im having that problem now...i ill upload the dwg...a tutor is suppose to help me today so lets see how that goes...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38362[/ATTACH]

I could do it but I'm not sure I could explain it easily. Where the Fillet command doesn't work try using the Circle command with the TTR option. Pay close attention to where the center points of the various arcs are located. It makes a big difference. I had to sort of back into a couple of them since they are not directly called out dimension-wise.

slowly im gonna become a pro at this :D

As I said earlier, it can be done you just have to pay attention to where certain center points of arcs are located. Two of the arcs, with radii of 102 and 152, may be problematic for those not familiar with drafting techniques.

If you don't want to use the Arc command you could always resort to using the Circle command and trim away the portions you don't need.

Some of the commands I used were line, arc, circle, trim, fillet and offset.

You start by drawing the center lines. From there you offset to define the top of the hook. From there you find lines you can either offset or draw from the dims given. Then draw circles from the center line to the radius shown, trim as needed. Keep going from there offsetting the resultant arcs, .....

If you didn't already realize - ignore the note on the lower right corner of drawing to Draw 1/2 size.

In AutoCAD you should always draw full size (and if for some reason you need to scale it later - that is trivially easy to do).

You'll do just fine. When you get stuck come back here with your question. It helps if we can see an image. It helps more if we can have an actual copy of your DWG file which can be attached to your post.

THANKS EVERYONE. I'm done...Someone helped me and I think I got it....off to dimmention it

If you stay in this field, you might want to learn how to spell dimension (there is no "t", at least not where I live).

Are you done embarrassing me? :lol:

If you stay in this field, you might want to learn how to spell dimension (there is no "t", at least not where I live).

I have to mark this off on the first test for 3 or 4 students every year. I'm not the best speller myself, but this one you need to know.