revit 2013 & revit mep are they the same?

paul1966

bit confused, we are looking at doing some revit hvac work in the near future, i wanted to download a trial of mep 2013, but could only find revit 2013, reading the blurb that was on autocads site it seems revit 2013 covers mep & architectural too, if it does why is there also an mep version? if we buy just revit 2013 will that have everything that mep will have, or are we best just to get mep.

"Revit 2013" is all three flavors of the Revit disciplines in one package. This is new in the 2013 version. So you are getting Revit Architecture, Structure and MEP (MEP has now been changed to "Systems" in 2013). So you do have the trial you want. I don't think Autodesk allows the individual download because it's kinda pointless when you can download the version that has them all. You can, however, still purchase only Revit MEP but if the budget allows I'd highly suggest to get the version that gives you everything. "Everything" means the extra default content, and discipline-specific tools that relate directly with the specific discipline.

Make no mistake: Revit, although it has three disciplines that are marketed, is actually one program. But Revit MEP allows you to place Connectors in Families, where as Arch and Structure doesn't have this feature. So it's more of "enabling/disabling" of a few features between the disciplines.

Hope this helps. :)