Wall Based Families.

addesigns

Running 2013 Revit Arch at work. Just curious how do you know where to place a generic wall based family when you are creating it. I notice I have to always offset it from the crossing planes ans keep tweeking it so it is not embeded into the wall. Is there something I can do so that when I create the family it will always be placed on the surface no matter how thick the wall?

When you build the family, align/lock the object(s) to the surface of the wall instead of the reference plane.

To check if done correctly, change the width of the wall in the family editor and see if your object moves with the face of the wall.

I tried that and it did not work. I locked the element to the wall face and it is still different for other walls. Any more ideas?

What do you mean by "where to place it"? If it's host based, and Walls are the host, then it can only insert if you hover over a wall. Did you build this family from scratch or did you use a Family Template?

I used a family template. The problem i believe is that Im not sure If I need to create another reference plane and lock it to the wall face, then lock the geometry to to wall face or if there something Im missing all together. No big deal if i dont get it

I tried that and it did not work. I locked the element to the wall face and it is still different for other walls. Any more ideas?

Are you sure you locked it to the FACE and not the Reference Plane that is also inline with the face?