A newb question about software

RonS

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first post.

First my background. I am a plumbing/piping designer for a mechanical contractor. I have been drawing with AutoCAD faithfully since 2000i and currently use 2012 with CadMech on top. I am familiar with both Revit and Inventor, fluent in BIM software such as Navisworks and Tekla Bimsite.

I also have 3DS Max, but, as others have stated, the learning curve is just a bit more then what I want to invest.

I have messed around with, Sketchup, Hexagon, Bryce, and Daz and have minimal understanding of each.

I can't seem to bring myself to model 3D with primitives, and I have a fairly large amount of 3D .DWG's that are way too time intensive to try and change. I also prefer AutoCADs process for assigning materials.

My first question is this...what software have you found that will allow AutoCAD designed objects to be inserted, manipulated, and rendered?

I would like to use what I already have, assign a material in AutoCAD, export to something like an .OBJ file and insert it into a program like Daz. I would then like to be able to manipulate each object and render it with some sort of realism.

Second question...Am I correct in my understanding that should I want multiple materials assignable to a different object I have to do a UV map of that object?

Thanks for all the information over the years, and for years to come.

Hello RonS!

I used to import my dwg models in 3DMax and assign materials and render there. I don't use anymore those programs, but probable others will post better advices for you.

I would have to agree and say use Max as well. I mean you can render well enough in Acad but it is a bit cumbersome. Max will give you the most control but is very complex to a novice.

Have to agree, Hexagon Bryce etc are toys, you have Max, amazing software .. use it, all 3d applications have steep learning curves, if your just learning which is what it reads like, don't jump around from product to product you are just going to get even more confused, we all went through it, stay with max and practice .. practice

I also have 3DS Max, but, as others have stated, the learning curve is just a bit more then what I want to invest.

all 3d applications have steep learning curves

I'll definitely agree with that. I've worked with quite a few of them, and they all require a lot of training and practice.

You have Max right there at your fingertips, which is one of the top programs out there, so why waste your time looking around for something else? You can import your dwg files straight into the program, so just get yourself a good book on materials, lighting and rendering in Studio Max and start practicing.