Michael's Corner

Thaumaturge

Reference the latest Michael's Corner (November).

Michael says:

Why back in the DOS days (that would be before wheel mice), you could launch the Zoom command, then enter .9X to reduce the display to 90% of the current view.

Some of you may have noticed that AutoCAD 2013 doesn't allow you to do that trick anymore of going back and forth with your wheel mouse to accomplish this same subtle reduction in the view (right, Juul?).

I am running AutoCAD 2013 and I don't have any problem with zooming with mouse wheel or using zoom command with .9X!

Does anyone else have a problem zooming in 2013?

regards,

Thaumaturge

I must say I've also not seen this particular issue. Neither in Vanilla 2013, nor ACA 2013. It might be a setting though, or perhaps some issue with graphics card?

Thanks for these insights, folks. I may have needed a bit more explanation on that article. I'm using a Logitech wheel mouse - nothing special on the sides - and when I roll the wheel, there's a 'notch' feel to the action as you roll the wheel. I know there are mice that have a smooth roll on the wheel, so the article wouldn't apply there.

That said, in A2012 and prior, when using a 'notched' action wheel mouse, rolling one notch back would zoom out slightly [ZOOMFACTOR setting notwithstanding], but then rolling one notch forward wouldn't go back to the exact display proportion, so your display was still zoomed out just a weeee bit. Repeating that 1-back-1-forward action on a notched wheel would result in a subtle zoom out.

A customer using A2013 contacted me about this - who apparently had the same type action on her wheel mouse - which confirmed what I, too, had noticed in A2013, that the back and forth action mentioned above no longer resulted in the same subtle zoom out.

Sooooo, I figured it would be a prime opportunity to resolve the issue with a button on the QAT using the always-functional Zoom/0.9X.

Also, I just installed SP1.1 for A2013 and have found it still to be the case, where the notch-rock trick still isn't as pronounced as it is in previous versions.

Hope that clarifies the situation, y'all, and thanks for bringing that to my attention, Tyke.

-Michael

Hey Tom,

Just tried to call your office, but the dial by name didn't work.

As you probably know, I've been writing Michael's Corner for 10 years now, but have been woefully absent from the Forums.

Thanks for the Friend request, too!

-Michael

Michael,

I am not sure what number you have? However, my office email is thamlet@denios-us.com. I am glad to have another friend on CADTutor so close to my location. I read most monthly posts in your corner and have enjoyed learning all the tips you share. Thank you!

OK I think I understand what you're referring to about the "notched" wheel. I've got a similar mouse at home (Razer Mamba). But I think you're missing the idea about thezoom-factor-change. It's not about the mouse notch, and it's not about the zoom factor either. It's because of the zoom factor being applied to the CURRENT display size.

The same principal applies even if you use the .9x manual zooming. And BTW this works fine for me in ACA 2013 as well. E.g. type the following at the command prompt:

Command: Z ZOOM
Specify corner of window, enter a scale factor (nX or nXP), or
[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] <real time>: .9x
Command: Z ZOOM
Specify corner of window, enter a scale factor (nX or nXP), or
[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] <real time>: 1.1x

So this would be equivalent to having the Zoom Factor = 0.1 and turning the wheel one notch down, then one notch up. But the end result shows a slightly larger portion of the model. And it "should" due to the math:

Say your current display size shows a width of 100 drawing units. After the .9x zoom, it's showing 100 / 0.9 = 111.11111 units. Now do a 1.1x zoom ... 111.11111 / 1.1 = 101.01010 units ... i.e. you don't get back to the original 100 units. If you want to return to an exact zoom size, and it's not something like extents / all, then use named views or Zoom Previous.