Identifying the percentage of a polyline or line within an area

C Tel

Does anyone know how I might be able to identify the percentage of a polyline length that is within an area?

Example: A map of tax code areas (closed polylines, they could be converted to polygons if needed). There are road center lines that cross through multiple tax code areas. I need to identify the percentage of the polyline length that is within each tax code area that it encounters.

I’m running AutoCAD Map 3D 2011

Thanks in advance for any help/advice that can be offered!

LengthInBox.PNG

So you are looking for a lisp routine that would determine the length of the line within the box as it relates to the total length of the line (percentage-wise). And you do not want to physically measure the line yourself. Is this correct?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38466[/ATTACH]

So you are looking for a lisp routine that would determine the length of the line within the box as it relates to the total length of the line (percentage-wise). And you do not want to physically measure the line yourself. Is this correct?

Yes, I'm looking for any way, lisp or otherwise to programadicly identify the percentage of the line and what box that percentage belongs to.

1D2YDPCvWdeGaAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Thanks for your help!

Sounds like some one is wanting to know how much ad-valorem tax needs to be paid or if the accounting dept. is up to date. :)

With Map3D and using the data connect (FDO) simple overlays could do it for you. Using standard autocad entities, lines and polygons in MAP3D you can create a topology and come up with roughly the same results.

Sounds like some one is wanting to know how much ad-valorem tax needs to be paid or if the accounting dept. is up to date. :)

You got it! It's a painful process at the moment. I'm looking to make things a bit more automated and less painful.

With Map3D and using the data connect (FDO) simple overlays could do it for you. Using standard autocad entities, lines and polygons in MAP3D you can create a topology and come up with roughly the same results.

It looks like this could do what I'm looking for, now I just need to learn how to put this to use. Thanks for this suggestion!

you can create a topology and come up with roughly the same results.

Hello Sir, let me translate in human language what you meant, ok?

The OP would like to calculate the percent length of single blinking segments, against the total length of the whole street, as well as maintaining the names of the intersected tax code areas:

clipping.gif

Here the original street attributes:

street.gif

and here the tax code areas ones:

taxzones.gif

After intersecting the two above in Qgis, I got something like this:

intersecting.gif

And now, dear Murph: I tried to achieve the same result with 1 polygon + 1 network topology in Map2006, by means of the _MAPANOVERLAY command, but I could not.

None of the these possible options carries the tax areas' Object Data, so I cannot associate to which zone (triangle, circle, rectang) belongs a given clipped street segment.

I attach here my sample shapefiles: street@taxzones.zip

smile.gif