text prints out bold when its NOT bold

happyunited

hi im using CAD07 &06 when i print out a drawing with lots of text some of it come out bold and some normal yet they are all the same font/height/size etc in the dwg? can anyone help me please?

thanks

does it make a diff if its mtext or single line text?

hi im using CAD07 &06 when i print out a drawing with lots of text some of it come out bold and some normal yet they are all the same font/height/size etc in the dwg? can anyone help me please?

thanks

does it make a diff if its mtext or single line text?

The problem could be that you have changed the line thickness before you have typed your text.

Is this correct???

Hello and welcome to the Forum - hmmm there should be no difference between single or multi line text, Check that all your text is on the same TEXT layer and then they should all come out the same pen thickness, im hoping you will find that currently your text may be on different layer which have different Pen Thicknesses Assigned.

hi thanks for your reply, i have checked line thickness etc and they are the same for both bits of text, they are the same color and on same layer with same weight and linetype but they still print out diff arghhh!! :(

we dont use plot styles here so its not that.

when i preview the two bits of text in model and print they come out fine its only in layout this happens from :(

If layer, lineweight and print settings are the same for both of primitives, check Z-coordinate for them - make it to 0 on the current UCS (sometimes difference of the Z makes some problems).

• 5 years later...

I have the same problem, but within blocks. I have a drawing with the same block copied throughout, but some print with bold attributed text.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

By the way I have 2010, perhaps it has been fixed since?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

No, it's still and issue. I'm at work right now running CAD 2012 and I needed this tip to fix the problem in question.

I realize this is 7 years old, but thank you!

That "Z coordinate thing"? Think at it for a minute. Since you have full AutoCAD, and not LT, the "Z coordinate thing", AKA The "Z" axis, is your height above the gound. When you are drawing in PLAN view, you are looking at the ground.

If your text is at a greater height than the rest, it will look BIGGER (bolder) than the rest, in perspective. Perspective is 3D, 3 dimensions, width, depth, height.

The solution for this issue is less OIE, or operator induced error, isn't it?

Yup, I am grumpy this morning.:lol:o:)

Edited by Dana W

I wrote a simple routine for text, dims, blocks to be moved to a 'Z' level of 100 then back to 0 and it seems to work for 90% of the time. Give it a try

(defun c:00 ()
(setvar "cmdecho" 0)
(if (= (getvar "tilemode") 0)(setq tmc 1))
(if (= tmc 1)(setvar "tilemode" 1))
(setq ss (ssget "_X" (list (cons 0 "INSERT")(cons 67 0))))
(IF SS  (progn
 (command "change" ss "" "p" "e" "100" "")
 (command "change" ss "" "p" "e" "0" "")
))
(setq ss (ssget "_X" (list (cons 0 "TEXT")(cons 67 0))))
(IF SS  (progn
))
(setq ss (ssget "_X" (list (cons 0 "MTEXT")(cons 67 0))))
(IF SS  (progn 
))
(setq ss (ssget "_X" (list (cons 0 "DIMENSION")(cons 67 0))))
(IF SS  (progn
))
(if (= tmc 1)(setvar "tilemode" 0))
(setq ss nil)
(setq tmc nil)
(setvar "cmdecho" 1)
)

The reason I say 90% of the time is that I have come across drawings in this office where the whole drawing views and prints as bold even when all 'Z' values is set to 0, but when you copy and paste to a new drawing, it views and prints correctly. Go figure...

• 1 month later...

I'm currently working on a civil drawing that was sent to myself by an architect. Everything, I mean everything in this DWG has a Z co-ordinate. The only fix is to explode all polylines into lines and manually change Z=0.

However, when we are dealing with arcs things can get a little tricky. Change the center to zero doesn't nessesarily make the 'untouchable' start and finish points follow suit. Depending on how the draftsman draws the arc and snaps it into place, the placement can still be fudged up. The only fix I know of was to quickly trace a polyarc and stap over the existing object. Then the z co-ordinate can be change.

Very frustrating when you are working with people who can't draw in 2D for some reason.

Colonel_CAD that is just bad drafting by the Civil firm in my opinion. The thickening of the text is a genuine problem in AutoCAD.

Have you tried the 'Flatten' command in the Express tools? That works for us to a certain point, but a little clunky. I prefer to select eveything then in properties, select the pulldown up top of the properties box and select lines, set Z to 0, select polyline, set Z to 0, select blocks, set Z to 0, etc. works well for me....

I have had a similar problem, but my solution to the problem was simple. All of the text was on the same layer and pen width, but the text style was different and the shape file was not the same as the other text. Once I changed all of the text to isocp.shx the problem was solved.

Colonel_CAD that is just bad drafting by the Civil firm in my opinion. The thickening of the text is a genuine problem in AutoCAD.

Have you tried the 'Flatten' command in the Express tools? That works for us to a certain point, but a little clunky. I prefer to select eveything then in properties, select the pulldown up top of the properties box and select lines, set Z to 0, select polyline, set Z to 0, select blocks, set Z to 0, etc. works well for me....

I'm one of the civil designers at firm I work at. It's not our fault when we are supplied with poorly drafted DWGS. Flatten isn't available in LT