Dimmensions on Layout Mode

lisbrainer

Can someone help me on something that's going on

with my Autocad?

I'm doing dimmensons on Layout and I'm facing a

problem: Using the same configurations of

dimmensions, sometimes I get the right dimmension,

but sometimes, without changing any

configurations, I get wrong dimmensions.

At the same drawing, with the same configurations,

I get different dimmensions to the same line. The

only way that I'm being able to correct it is by

using Match Properties (from a correct dimmension

to the one that went wrong).

Is there any way to fix it or does anyone knows

what's happening??

Thanks a lot!

ReMark and Dadgad,

Thanks for answering!

ReMark, the dimensions are not associative..

And Dadgad, can you explain to me what the NODE does to the dimensions? Because I turned it off and it suddenly worked hahahah Do you know what's the reason for that? Because the difference between right and wrong on the dimensions are huge (like 2.5m turning into 0.3m).

Anyway, thanks so much for the attention!

:)

Dadgad,

Latest news: it stopped working again.. I don't know the reason. It worked for a while but now It's showing the wrong dimensions again..

Do you know any possible reason?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. :)

Do you have your NODE snap turned on?

Turn it off, so that your dimensions attach and associate to your geometry directly.

Nice assumption, I usually forget that people use running osnaps, I don't and it is for reasons like this.

If you are dimensioning in your layout then your dimensions need to be "associative".

Yes, they are associative (DIMASSOC is defined as 2). When I previously said they weren't, I was confusing it with "annotative".

Even so, they are associative, but the problem goes on...

Is your viewport locked when you are doing your dimensioning?

Yes, it is locked. Can this be the reason?

Do you know if there is any other possibility besides that?

I was just curious that's all.

You do use your Osnaps to pick your geometry when dimensioning right?

Can you attach a copy of the DWG file to your next post? Thanks.

I was just curious that's all.

You do use your Osnaps to pick your geometry when dimensioning right?

Can you attach aEC-RJ-EXE-ARQ-R04-F01-02-03-ALOJ 1-Plantas 2.dwg copy of the DWG file to your next post? Thanks.

Yes, I use osnaps, but the problem is not actually picking the right point, but that even with the right selection, the dimension comes wrong. It's as if the scale factor changes automatically. For example, if I am making the dimensions on a drawing with a scale of 1:75, some dimensions will come with the value increased in 13.33x (which is the proportion of the 1:75 scale), even if the scale factor of the configured dimension is 1.

I am attaching the file so maybe you can see it happen.

Why does the scale shown on the drawing differ from the one assigned to the viewport? Example: The drawing scale says 1:50 but the viewport scale is 20.00? Where did 20.00 come from? There is no 1:75 scale indicated on your drawing for any of the viewports either.

I see two things that concern me immediately. First. You did not lock your viewports. Second. Your viewports are not on their own layer. You placed them on the Defpoints layer.

By the way, your scale list shows imperial scales. I thought this was a metric drawing. Where are your metric scales?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sure looks like you used an imperial template and you are actually working in decimal inches. Even your insertion units are set to "feet" not cm or m.

Why are your buildings so far away from 0,0? Are there more buildings to the left that do not show up in this drawing for some reason?

You have a dimension of 2.00. Is that supposed to be two meters?

It looks like you have three viewports sitting on top of a large (fourth) viewport that shows the entire building. Is that correct? By the way, the scale for the large viewport is 10.00 which does not agree with the scale on the drawing.

lisbrainer: What's the delay in your response? It's been almost three hours or so. Time now: GST 10:32 pm.

Edited by ReMark

My last attempt at getting you (lisbainer) to respond otherwise I'm moving on.

Bottom line: I think you used the wrong template. The scales listed under each viewport (ex. 1:50) do not match up with the scales as reported by AutoCAD.

Please see the attached drawing saved in AutoCAD 2000 file format. It is one of your dormitories I inserted into a new drawing that used a metric template (acadiso.dwt). Figuring that you really meant for the 2.00 dimension to be two meters and not two millimeters I scaled the drawing by a factor of 1000 (1 meter = 1000 millimeters). I created three new layers: VPorts (for my viewport), Texto (for my scale text) and Dims (for the three test dimensions). I set the scale of the viewport to 1:50 and locked it. I used your ISO-25 dimstyle but modified it to show trailing zeros and applied a scale factor of 0.001 to have the dimensions read in meters not millimeters. Note that my dimensions are done in paper space and they match up perfectly with your model space dimensions as far as accuracy.

Dormitorio.dwg

Edited by ReMark

My last attempt at getting you (lisbainer) to respond otherwise I'm moving on.

Bottom line: I think you used the wrong template. The scales listed under each viewport (ex. 1:50) do not match up with the scales as reported by AutoCAD.

Please see the attached drawing saved in AutoCAD 2000 file format. It is one of your dormitories I inserted into a new drawing that used a metric template (acadiso.dwt). Figuring that you really meant for the 2.00 dimension to be two meters and not two millimeters I scaled the drawing by a factor of 1000 (1 meter = 1000 millimeters). I created three new layers: VPorts (for my viewport), Texto (for my scale text) and Dims (for the three test dimensions). I set the scale of the viewport to 1:50 and locked it. I used your ISO-25 dimstyle but modified it to show trailing zeros and applied a scale factor of 0.001 to have the dimensions read in meters not millimeters. Note that my dimensions are done in paper space and they match up perfectly with your model space dimensions as far as accuracy.

[ATTACH]38551[/ATTACH]

ReMark - the drawing was already drawn with units assumed to be 1 meter. The VP scales only make sense for a drawing done in mm in a standard metric title block. His drawing is done as a unit = meter, in a standard metric title block. The 1:50 scale reference is correct on his drawing because the VP is scaled to 20:1 due to the unit = meter. So if 1:50 is correct for mm/mm then to get to mm/M one would divide by 1000, 50/1000 = 0.05, .05/1 = 20, so 20:1 would equal 1:50 for plot scale for the M/mm ratio.

And we are told metric is so much easier :)

No need what so ever to multiply the drawing by 1000 only to adjust the dimlfac to 0.001 to get the dims to work.

OP - I got your dims to work on your original drawing by simply changing DIMASSOC to 2.