Dimensions in Model space Vs Paper space

Hello everyone,

We are debating an issue here where I work. I work in the following way, once my drawing is all done and I've created my viewports, I lock it and do all my dimensionning annotive and in model space by passing thru my view port, my co worker him, he works with view ports also but does his dimensioning on the paper space layout and not in annotative. Sooooo I need your help, is there really a better way among the two?

Dimensions in model space or dimensions on the paper space?

While I got your attention what is your opinion on annotative dimensioning?

Thanks so much...we are setting a company standards and procedure.

I always suggest that users try both methods and weigh the pros and cons of each then decide what works best for them.

I do all my dimensioning in my layout. Why? I find it much easier and there are no system variables that I have to worry about. I also have only one dimension style so that keeps it simple too.

I think there are certain disciplines, like architecture, that would benefit greatly from using annotative scaling.

We have had this discussion in the past. Check some of the Similar Threads listed below.

Edited by ReMark

At the end of the day, if I don't have to touch the drawing it doesn't worry me too much.

We do dimensions in paperspace. I have experimented with annotative scaling (in AutoCad) and found it a bit troubling to get working correctly although absolutely can see the benefits of it.

Just move your dwg in model space and your pspace dims are screwed.

However for survey/civil work, you shouldn't need to move model space (if maintaining real world coordinates).

Associative dimensions in paper space, properly snapped, will follow the model. No different than dimensions in model space.

We all do not do the same work, different methods are needed for different situations.

Most of my survey/civil work is dimensioned in model space, paper space is used for the title block and some annotaions specific only to that layout tab. Most other drawings are dimensioned in paper space to keep model space uncluttered and neat.

I use model space for many reason, but everybodys correct when they say you should use whats correct for your own output.

Example, 1st lesson i was taught never draw the same thing twice & yes my discipline is architecture.

As i need to show the same dims at differant scales in differant drawings sheets, it makes perfect sense to have them in my model space drawings as this can then be referenced into as many sheets as i wish & set to what every viewport scale i wish.

Thank goodness for annotative scaling best thing ever to come into Autocad imho, beside the sheetset manager.

• 3 weeks later...

Model space also.

A lot of revisions in my line of work usually mean I can't say something is over and done never tbh. I find it easier to alter something when in model space.

The other reason is mainly pure habit.

However for survey/civil work, you shouldn't need to move model space (if maintaining real world coordinates).

You wouldn't move the objects in model space. You could possibly move the objects inside of a viewport. Dimensioning will follow, what about mleaders that are not snapped to anything? Everything for us goes in model space.

As long as I don't need to move the drawing, or add text outside of the vewiport to avoid clashing, then I'm always using model space.

Just DIMSCALE * and DIM -> UP does the job.

As long as I don't need to move the drawing.

Out of your depth? (references the signature question) :beer:

In over your head?

Your cup runneth over?

I prefer the dimensions in PAPERSPACE for the sort of work I do.

What sort of work do you do?

I'm an (apprentice) CAD Techie/Draftsman in Temp. works, so I'm always changing and updating, hence why I need to keep things in Models space, within reason that is.

Of course, I do use PSPACE if needed. Saves work moving everything if possible to work in Model Space! :)

Model space always with annotative scaling, handy if you need to xref the drawing with the dims.

I'm with him and @BigAl. Even repositioning your drawing within your viewport will screw some people up. I always dimension in model space annotatively. This also keeps you from having to redimension the same drawing if you're doing multiple views.

Unless, of course, you're working in 3D. Then, by all means, dimension in Paper Space.

• 2 months later...

I do all my dimensions in model, I just like it all in one place then scale it in paperspace.

Everybody has their own way and what works for them.

Most of us live in a democracy and we can make up our own minds, as long as you all do it my way in model space LOL.:D

D 8)