3d rotatable PDF plot

Undaground_King

Hi guys,

I've been searching the forum but unfortunately havnt been able to find the answer I require.

I have created a 3d floor plan of the walk-in cooler rooms onboard a ship which is being refitted with new shelving and refridgerator systems. I am required to present this drawing as a PDF where the viewer can orbit/rotate around the drawing as needed. Ideally I'd like to keep the Title Block I use in paper space.

I am using Autocad 2012 and Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

Could someone please give me the best solution to achieve a rotatable 3d model in PDF format.

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• SLW210

• JD Mather

• Undaground_King

No it's certainly possible. I've seen a PDF with a model which was fully rotateable but from a different design team. I know other programs have this option under plot options but i think AutoCad does not and are rather pushing their DWF viewer. Problem is I cannot expect clients to download DWF viewers just because I'm unable to create a 3D PDF. PDF's being the main format they review data presented.

Any other suggestions people?

Another victim of people not wanting to try a perfectly viable option because they are not familiar with it. DWF viewer is a free program, just like Acrobat Reader but people are naturally resistant to using it. I do not understand why. Instead we have to jump through hoops to make PDFs when there are so many reasons to use DWF. AutoCAD and PDFs has been a problem for many people throughout the years. I recently switched to a newer version of AutoCAD and have yet to find a way to batch plot PDFs using the built in DWG to PDF driver. I have to use a 3rd party program. You don't go to a bakery and order a hamburger. They can probably make one but it probably won't be as good as their bread.

Sorry for the rant. PDFs are kind of a sore spot for me right now.

I think you need the 3D PDF CONVERTER that is an add-on from Tetra 4D for Adobe Acrobat X Pro. I believe then, you will need to export from AutoCAD as IGES, STP or something .

Solidworks will "save as" 3D PDF since 2007 version AFAIK.

Find out what program the other design team uses.

This is NOT an AutoCAD problem. I'm surprised that Autodesk has included the DWG to PDF.pc3 plotter, though I've never had a problem with it, I would still rather use DWF.

I think you need the 3D PDF CONVERTER that is an add-on from Tetra 4D for Adobe Acrobat X Pro. I believe then, you will need to export from AutoCAD as IGES, STP or something .

Yes, this is what I've used previously.

This is NOT an AutoCAD problem. I'm surprised that Autodesk has included the DWG to PDF.pc3 plotter, though I've never had a problem with it, I would still rather use DWF.

In my opinion that was one of their best additions in recent years (simpler than having to use an external PDF creator).

Okay, but how do you get people off the PDF horse?

I wouldn't. Yes, a DWF is doable but a lot of people are unconformable with such files. Most people are familiar with PDFs hence why we always use them.

Yes, this is what I've used previously.

In my opinion that was one of their best additions in recent years (simpler than having to use an external PDF creator).

I wouldn't. Yes, a DWF is doable but a lot of people are unconformable with such files. Most people are familiar with PDFs hence why we always use them.

PDFs and AutoCAD do not play well together in the sand box. Just look at all the questions about problems with PDFs on this forum. It's time we as AutoCAD users stood up and shouted, "In with DWF. Out with PDF for AutoCAD. It doesn't work right!" I know I would be a happier camper.

PDFs and AutoCAD do not play well together in the sand box. Just look at all the questions about problems with PDFs on this forum. It's time we as AutoCAD users stood up and shouted, "In with DWF. Out with PDF for AutoCAD. It doesn't work right!" I know I would be a happier camper.

+1

Professional tools for professional people. Engineering, Design and Drafting are PROFESSIONAL occupations, be professional and insist those you deal with be professional.

Why would anyone dealing with drawings feel "uncomfortable" using DWF?

If you deal with CAD files use the APPROPRIATE programs for viewing and creating them.

Portable Document Format (PDF) is a file format used to represent documents

Design Web Format (DWF) is a secure file format developed by Autodesk for the efficient distribution and communication of rich design data to anyone who needs to view, review, or print design files. Because DWF files are highly compressed, they are smaller and faster to transmit than design files, without the overhead associated with complex CAD drawings (or the management of external links and dependencies). With DWF functionality, publishers of design data can limit the specific design data and plot styles to only what they want recipients to see and can publish multisheet drawing sets from multiple AutoCAD drawings in a single DWF file. They can also publish 3D models from most Autodesk design applications.

DWF files are not a replacement for native CAD formats such as AutoCAD drawings (DWG). The sole purpose of DWF is to allow designers, engineers, project managers, and their colleagues to communicate design information and design content to anyone needing to view, review, or print design information – without these team members needing to know AutoCAD or other design software.

The trouble is, as a professional you deal with many other professionals and clients of different backgrounds. In my experience most of them specifically request PDF files and won't accept anything else. At eh end of the day, it is the client who is paying and whatever they want is generally provided (typically PDFs).

DWFs require clients to download the DWF viewer program which is a big ask of some of them. I haven't used DWFx before although you say they work natively on Windows 7? The trouble is, my firm (and many we work with) are yet to upgrade to Windows 7 and still use Windows Xp (should finally be happening soon though).

Almost every computer in the world can open a PDF and most people are familiar with viewing them. Not every computer will open a DWF file and even less people know what it actually is or are familiar with them. Hence we use PDF and I don't see any advantage in switching to DWF and potentially alleviating clients or firms we work with.

Once you know how to work with them (e.g. avoid using wipeouts etc) you rarely encounter a problem in my opinion.

In my experience most of them specifically request PDF files and won't accept anything else.

This is mostly out of ignorance of a much better solution for all parties, especially when it comes to 3D. We have a responsibility to inform our clients and everyone else of a better alternative.

Once you know how to work with them (e.g. avoid using wipeouts etc) you rarely encounter a problem in my opinion.

Again, I point you to the number of posts here on an almost daily basis about PDFs.

Almost every computer in the world can open a PDF and most people are familiar with viewing them.

This is a curiosity question since I have zero experience with 3D PDF.

Will most every computer in the world open a 3D PDF without downloading additional add-in?

I thought the wf in dwf was web format. I have opened dwf files in internet explorer for a long time (since 2000). you just have to use the file open command inside IE. You may be able to associate dwf files with IE and have it use that program as the default but I don't know.

I have opened dwf files in internet explorer for a long time (since 2000). you just have to use the file open command inside IE....

...........if........you have Design Review or it's predecessor installed which also installed a browser viewer. If you had an Autodesk product installed on the machine - it installed the web browser viewer.

Without a viewer installed - cannot open in browser unless using dwfx and Vista or Win7.

Without going to off subject, How do you create a 3-D dwfx file. I have tried to plot to a dwfx file several ways and cannot get it to come up in 3-D, not in plan review or navis Freedom. I have tried from a layout, and from a model space saved view with no luck. When I open it up only the 2-D navigation wheels are available.