Modeling Heat Transfer

xllluzionx

Hello everyone!

My girlfriend has been struggling with a project for the past two weeks now so I am here to try and get help for her. Here is what she told me that she needs to do.

I'm trying to model the heat transfer from a hot resistor across air to a battery. I need to keep the battery warm (20 degrees C warmer than the exterior temperature). It's the convection through air that I can't prove anymore, and the plots I'm getting say my battery is even colder than I told it to start at.

Any size 'open' box, like a trash can. Then put a tall box or cylinder in it, next to but not touching the wall.

I'm giving the rod a power output of 10 W and setting my initial temperatures of everything to 295 K. I'm setting a low convection like 2 W/m^2K in a 300K ambient enviornment. After integrating through 5 minutes the temperature plotted by the solver is way colder than the initial temps and there is no indication that convection is influincing the wall by the rod. I'm also positive that the rod is a power source, and not a power sink.

I have never used the program myself so I'm not sure if this is enough information, but I would really appreciate any feedback so I can pass ideas her way or ask her for more clarification. Thanks!