Opening older version of autocad files on the newer version

skybhoy

hey all, just wondering is there anyway of opening old files from previous edition of autocad on the newer version, have a file from a few years ago and it wont open now on the new one? help greatly appreciated :)

It seems odd that you have 2013 yet cannot open a drawing created with an earlier version of AutoCAD. What version of AutoCAD was the drawing created with?

Maybe it just needs to be opened with the recover option or maybe its just broken !! :)

I think its just broken.

Similar to Organics experience we open lots of 15 year plus DWGs with various versions of AutoCAD, from 2004 to 2013. Occaisionally we meet a problem file, but up to now we have always been able to open it in Progecad and resave it, and then it opened fine in AutoCAD. Perhaps TrueView would do the same. It was always an old trick for a DXF that wouldn't open in a full AutoCAD version first to open in LT and resave it, and then it opened in the full version. It's almost as if full versions are a bit more sensitive, but clones and LT accept the files.

• 2 weeks later...

hey all, thanks for your help. i think the file was corrupt alrite just decide to giv up on it :(

started a new drawing on now!still problems:/!

i have autocad2013 on my laptop and i also use autocad 12 at college..i started the drawing in 2012 version, and at home done it on 2013, i now cant open it on 2012.

cant download anything on college computer to solve it. just wondering is there a simple solution cause college computer are much quicker than my personal one

The reason you can no longer open the drawing in 2012 is that when you worked on it at home you saved to the 2013 DWG standard not the 2010 standard which AutoCAD 2012 supports.

Yes. Open it in 2013 and do a "save as" to the AutoCAD 2010/AutoCAD LT 2010 Drawing (*.dwg) file format. As long as you are going to be working on the dame drawing both at home and at school you should set your home version of AutoCAD to always save to the 2010 file format then you won't have these types of problems in the future.

The reason you can no longer open the drawing in 2012 is that when you worked on it at home you saved to the 2013 DWG standard not the 2010 standard which AutoCAD 2012 supports.

anyway i could get it to work in 2012 again?