FATAL ERROR: Out of memory - Shuting down

myself

FATAL ERROR: Out of memory - Shuting down

So the problem is this, all of a sudden, and after a couple months working with Autocad 2013 and Autocad MEP 2013 on my computer, this message has started to appear every time i try to open the programs, i have no option, since when i click to open this message pops up immediately. The idea of being a real memory problem is out of question, since i've been working with both programs for a long time, and especially because i have other programs installed that also demand a lot of memory, and are until now working perfectly, for instance Revit is working pretty well. My computer specification meet the demand of the programs, im running a I7 - 4GB Memory - 1GB Graphic Card, not necessarily the best computer in the world, though completely able to run those programs.

I've tried to solve the problem by browsing the web pursuing an answer, among the things i have already tried are uninstalling/installing, creating another windows account, and cleaning regedit to creat a fresh start. None of those has solved my problem.

Does anyone here knows or has any idea of what has happened?

Has this happened to any of you?

This isn't a permanent solution but has helped many people at work from receiving the "out of memory" message...

Try implementing "Ready Boost" http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/readyboost

What this does is allow you to add "RAM" (caching RAM) by simply using a flash drive.

the flash drive needs to be a format other than "EXFAT" so reformat the flash drive to another format (like NTFS)

Right click on the flash drive in Windows Explorer and select "Properties"

Click on the "Ready Boost" tab

select either "Dedicate this device" or "Use this device" - Dedicating the device will use the entire flash drive as "Ready Boost" while "Use this device" will allow you to specify how much room on the flash drive to use by adjusting the slider.

As I mentioned before, this is not a cure-all - i still cannot open some larger drawings on my 32 bit machine that the users who have 64 bit machines can open. But at least i dont get the out of memory message anymore.

Its worth a try...

If it does work - note that a 32 bit machine cannot utilize as much ready boost as a 64 bit machine so only use a 4 gigs max for a 32 bit machine.

What size files are you working with?

Typically out of memory errors are often associated with virtual memory (the "swap file") on one's hard drive.

Sorry but i didn’t explain myself clear, that message pops up every timei open AutoCAD, i don’t have the chance to make any kind of change. The file inquestion is the template for “drawing 1” that comes with AutoCAD, that doesn’tseem to me like a big file that could not work due it to lack of memory.

“Swap file” what do you mean with that?

What programs do you have running in the background? Ex.: anti-virus, Internet browser, Microsoft Office application(s), other?

The swap file is a section of your hard drive set aside by Windows to page data out when resources (RAM) start maxing out.

What OS are you running?

Similar Qs:

• 32/64bit? If 32 ... is the 3GB switch turned on? Otherwise you've got a max of 2GB you can actually use.
  • 1GB Graphics shared RAM or discrete?
  • Swap size setting? Automatic, Manually set to min/max, or turned off? Advise to set to between 1x and 2x your phisical RAM's size ... i.e. in your case I'd set it between 4 and 8 GB and set it as manual with min and max values the same - so it doesn't keep growing and shrinking and become slow due to fragmentation.
  • Look at Task Manager before starting ACad ... how much RAM is free? Which background programs can you turn off?
  • Start ACad while Task Manager is open how much RAM is ACad eating up? Shouldn't be more than (max) 500 MB - for a blank start.
  • Google for Process Monitor, it's a free program which can tell you what is loading when and if there are any problems like unfound files / registry keys. From this you can check which files acad is opening ... perhaps some custom thing which is eating RAM?

If you are going to tweak your virtual memory then I would recommend setting the min/max values to 2.5-3X the amount of installed RAM. This will force Windows to set aside a contiguous area on your hard drive as the swap file. The default for Windows is 1.5X installed RAM and the min/max values are not the same. This allows for the swap file to shrink and grow which isn't necessarily a good practice as irneb has pointed out.

If you are going to tweak your virtual memory then I would recommend setting the min/max values to 2.5-3X the amount of installed RAM. This will force Windows to set aside a contiguous area on your hard drive as the swap file.
Strange, I've never seen that it forces a contiguous space. I've always seen that it simply allocates the next open block. E.g. say my swap was=4GB ... if I change it to 8GB the original 4GB is left where it was, but an allocation is made for the next 4. If possible that would be directly following the 1st, but if there's some files already on that spot in the disk the swap is fragmented to fit the 8GB.

For this reason I generally first set the swap file to 0, reboot, then set the swap file to my liking and reboot again. That way it is placed in the first contiguous space which can fit it entirely. Of course you could use some utilities to "defrag" it after the fact. E.g. UltraDefrag.

As for size of swap file ... not too sure of the "perfect" size. IMO it depends ... if you've only got 2GB RAM, then I'd say set swap = 6GB. If you've got 16GB, then I can't see why you'd want a swap of 32 to 48GB in size.