Viewres

Baiksu

VIEWRES sets the resolution for objects in the current viewport, which is most noticeable as it applies to the smoothness of arcs and circles,

try setting it to 10,000, instead of the default 1000.

Oh man, I set mine in my templates at 15,000. Honestly this command is a holdover back to the old days when you had to turn the resolution down due to lack of performance in pc equipment. Back when you planned your "regens" around your coffee break ;)

With today's modern computers there is no need to set this down anymore.

Just another dinosaur command/settings along with;

limits, blips, regenauto and several more

Modern computers should easily handle VIEWRES=20000 and WHIPARC=1, LARGE FILES may benefit from a lower VIEWRES and/or WHIPARC=0.

My poor little 32-bit 3GB RAM computer handles files of 30MB with VIEWRES=20000 and WHIPARC=1.

VIEWRES is a COMMAND and WHIPARC/WHIPTHREAD are SYStem VARiables.

VIEWRES

Sets the resolution for objects in the current viewport.

Summary

The model is regenerated.

VIEWRES controls the appearance of circles, arcs, splines, and arced polylines using short vectors. The greater the number of vectors, the smoother the appearance of the circle or arc. For example, if you create a very small circle and then zoom in, it might appear to be a polygon. Using VIEWRES to increase the zoom percentage and regenerate the drawing updates and smooths the circle's appearance.

acw2206u.png

NoteIncreasing the zoom percentage in VIEWRES may increase the time it takes to regenerate the drawing.

When a paper space layout is made current for the first time and a default viewport is created in the layout, the viewing resolution for this initial viewport is the same as the viewing resolution for the Model tab viewport.

The VIEWRES setting is saved in the drawing. To change the default for new drawings, consider specifying the VIEWRES setting in the template files on which you base your new drawings.

WHIPARC

Type:IntegerSaved in:RegistryInitial value:0

Controls whether the display of circles and arcs is smooth.

Circles and arcs are not smooth, but rather are displayed as a series of vectors

Circles and arcs are smooth, displayed as true circles and arcs

If you have a Multicore Computer

WHIPTHREAD

Type:IntegerSaved in:RegistryInitial value:1

Controls whether to use an additional processor to improve the speed of operations such as ZOOM that redraw or regenerate the drawing.

WHIPTHREAD has no effect on single processor machines.

No multithreaded processing; restricts regeneration and redraw processing to a single processor. This setting restores the behavior of AutoCAD 2000 and previous releases.

Regeneration multithreaded processing only; regeneration processing is distributed across two processors on a multiprocessor machine.

Redraw multithreaded processing only; redraw processing is distributed across two processors on a multiprocessor machine.

Regeneration and redraw multithreaded processing; regeneration and redraw processing is distributed across two processors on a multiprocessor machine.

When multithreaded processing is used for redraw operations (value 2 or 3), the order of objects specified with the DRAWORDER command is not guaranteed to be preserved for display but is preserved for plotting.

Modern computers should easily handle VIEWRES=20000

While the computer might "handle it" what is the point if you can't see the difference.

I recommend setting at the lowest setting (faster speed) that doesn't bother your sense of aesthetics with faceted edges on circles.

I set my template at 2000.

Increasing resolution of arcs beyond what you can see only slows down the computer with no benefit.

While the computer might "handle it" what is the point if you can't see the difference.

I recommend setting at the lowest setting (faster speed) that doesn't bother your sense of aesthetics with faceted edges on circles.

I set my template at 2000.

Increasing resolution of arcs beyond what you can see only slows down the computer with no benefit.

While this is a very logical statement I doubt any modern computer will be phased by the difference. Or at least it will not be noticeable by a human eye.

As a test a drew a circle, ran an array command and achieved 11,016 circles in Acad 2013.

circles.jpg

I exploded the array so I had individual circles.

I set viewres to 2,000 and typed regen. Instant regen.

I set viewres to 15,000 and typed regen. Instant regen, no delay at all.

My system monitor I run showed no difference between the settings.

Sure different PCs with different setups will and can yield different results I see no difference what so ever on my PC at work.

I might try this at home and see what happens there.

Whipthread was set to 1 during the above test. I set it to 3 and still response feedback was instant.