Ribbon Cable- alignment with connector

JillAW

I am drawing a ribbon cable in between 2 connectors.

I specify Start Pin 1 &2.

The problem is: how do I make the ribbon cable enter leave and enter each connector at a 0-degree angle?

As it is drawn now, my cable leaves the start connector, and enters the end connector, at an angle (because the cable must loop a couple of times). This means that the length of one side of the cable does not match the length of the other side. I want both sides to be of equal length.

Many thanks (again),

Jill

You can set this up by adding points to the path and then edit the points to set in straight line.

It simplifies things if you add these points to your connector so that they can be selected when creating the ribbon cable.

Hi JD:

I am still trying to figure out how to do what you suggested:

When I created the connector, I labeled the Pins, then specified a start pin (for the ribbon cable), and a direction. These pins are in a straight line.

I see there is a way to "Add Points" to my ribbon cable (which I did), but adding and "3D Moving/Rotating" these does not help my situation (if this is what you mean by editing the points?).

I have tried "Edit Twist", and this had addressed the problem somewhat, but not exactly.

Can you clarify what you mean by editing the points to create a straight line?

I can attach my assembly and part files if this would help...

Thanks,

Jill

PS: There is also the problem of maintaining the length of each 'side' of the ribbon cable regardless of how I edit the twist or add and move points. That is, once I figure out how to get each side [of the cable] the same length, how do I lock this length in place so that even if I edit the twist, these lengths remain the same?

Hi JD,

I sent the .ipt to your email, as the file was too large to post on this forum.

I hope this is ok.

Please let me know if you need my assy or other part files to assist in an explanation...

Best,

Jill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JD,

Have you had a chance to look at the .ipt file I emailed (re: forcing both sides of a ribbon cable to be of equal length)?

Best,

Jill

I got the file, prepared and answer and then decided I could do better - but haven't got back to it.

I will try over the next couple of days. Just bump this thread to remind me.

I was only going to address the issue of having the cable come straight out of the connector.

The solution is to simply create workpoints out from the connector to guide the cable in the last 30mm or so.

Thanks!

I will wait for the *ipt file, because I'm not sure how you know how many workpoints to create (and are you talking about creating more points on the ribbon cable, or on the connector?).

I will have to re-fresh my memory, because I'm not sure how to create additional workpoints coming out from the connector...