Work flow in real drafting office

jac12

I'm doing a CAD drafting course ( Civil ), but haven't got any real work experience. Could anyone kindly explain what a drafter do in a real work place. I understand that every office is different to another, I just want to know the general work flow. ( Base on "what" do you start drawing?) A somehow confusing question, any answer would be appreciated. Cheers,

All I can tell you is how things go in my office.

We get a survey drawing. I convert linetypes, text styles, symbols, layer names, colors, etc. to our standards. I set up sheets for demolition, staking, grading, etc. The architect sends us a floor plan. I xref the floor plan into our drawing. My boss marks up the sheets. I incorporate those markups into the plans. We get new plans or changes, the boss makes new markups, I make new changes, and so on, until we run out of time.

I don't work in the Civil drafting department but I am a drafter nevertheless. My guess is that they'll probably have you start out doing revisions or mark-ups, maybe some deleting,moving, copying, extending etc..... lines. If you gain more experience maybe they'll let you do some 3D modelling? or draft something up for someone. They might give you a rough sketch and based on those you gotta "pretty" it up and make it presentable. And since your in Civil they might ask you to run some numbers real quick for a check too! My guess that is ahah. Hope that helps.