Revit Model and 2d cad files

Nick-H-

I have been asked if I model some drawings from 2d autocad files, into a revit model.

is there any way of inserting the cad files into the revit model and tracing over the ductwork. I have seen it done before but im not sure how I do it myself.

and bare in mind ive not really used revit mep to create any project before so im quite new at all this.

the person who wants this doing says the finished ductwork and containment doesnt have to be 100% accurate as it is just going to be used as a marketing tool.

I would be greatful if someone could give me some guidance

Nick

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick-H-

• tzframpton

• RobDraw

• Lee Roy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go to the "Insert" tab to "Link CAD". If the Revit model and the CAD dwg are coordinated, use the "Origin to Origin" option for "Postioning". If not use which option seems best for you and adjust the postioning manually after you insert, if needed.

Edited by RobDraw

Go to the "Insert" tab to "Link CAD". If the Revit model and the CAD dwg are coordinated, use the "Origin to Origin" option for "Postiioning". If not use which option seems best for you and adjust the postioning manually after you insert, if needed.

I thought it was somewere along them lines. how do I link say the GF vent, to show on the ground floor of the revit model?

another question the revit file I have got has got tons and tons of views when all i need is Ground floor plan and first floor plan. is it easier to link the revit file into a new project. the next question is what do i from there.

hope you can make sense of what time trying to say

thanks in advance

I am far from an expert at this. I usually just go to the view where I want to see the CAD and insert it there. If it is not visible, then I adjust accordingly. You may need to change the elevation of the link so that it shows in the right view.

I am assuming that the Revit file is from an architect or other outside source. I would save a copy of that file and clean it up. Then start a new project and link that model into the project. I don't have time to walk you through setting up a project and there are many resources on the net to help you with that but if you have specific questions along the way, I'd be glad to try and help.

I am far from an expert at this. I usually just go to the view where I want to see the CAD and insert it there. If it is not visible, then I adjust accordingly. You may need to change the elevation of the link so that it shows in the right view.

I am assuming that the Revit file is from an architect or other outside source. I would save a copy of that file and clean it up. Then start a new project and link that model into the project. I don't have time to walk you through setting up a project and there are many resources on the net to help you with that but if you have specific questions along the way, I'd be glad to try and help.

How do you go about cleaning revit files up, ive saved as the file. and tried deleting all the views i dont need and it wont let me

Audit, delete schedules, legends, sheets, unneeded views, and Purge Unused. Views can be deleted in groups by the branches of the browser tree (see attached). Clean-up is not necessary. I do it because it reduces file size dramatically. Your results may be different depending on the model.

Project Browser.png

Never be scared to delete a View (unless you're on a project with multiple team members, etc). A View is only a representation of the Model so you can always get it back. Rob is right - it should be as simple as using the Delete key (or right-click option he's shown above) to get rid of Views. For a project like this that you're starting, me personally.... I would get rid of every View that I can and start from scratch. Especially using my company's Template. We have a ton of preset Views and Sheets and I usually get rid of it all before I move forward, then rebuild each View and Sheet as I need.

Ah. Did you receive this model from an outside client? If so, they gave you a Central Model. What you need to do is close everything out, then use File > Open within Revit to open the file. BUT!! Before you do, when you find the file just click on it once, and before you click Open, there's a checkbox that says "Create New Local" - this needs to be unchecked. Then click Open. It'll ask you to Detach Worksets or Preserve: You'll want to Detach from them. When it finishes loading, now you can do a Save As, and it'll detach itself from the Central Model and the file with be "yours" to manipulate however you want. In other words, delete ALL their Views. Unless you see some that might be of use, of course.

:)

Ah. Did you receive this model from an outside client? If so, they gave you a Central Model. What you need to do is close everything out, then use File > Open within Revit to open the file. BUT!! Before you do, when you find the file just click on it once, and before you click Open, there's a checkbox that says "Create New Local" - this needs to be unchecked. Then click Open. It'll ask you to Detach Worksets or Preserve: You'll want to Detach from them. When it finishes loading, now you can do a Save As, and it'll detach itself from the Central Model and the file with be "yours" to manipulate however you want. In other words, delete ALL their Views. Unless you see some that might be of use, of course.

:)

Thats is greatstuf :) no doubt I will have more questions.

am I right in thinking if i do anything to this model it will go back to the central model, no matter where I am ie. if i saved it onto a home computer?

No, that's not how it works. Honestly, I never use Central Models unless it's a project at work that will be accessed by more than one person (other than myself). If you do have a Central Model, you never access the Central Model directly, only via Local Copies. Soon as you move that file, you've broken the connection so it's never good to move files around freely.

Cheers for that I have managed to not delete stuff I dont want..

How do I go about creating HVAC views, so I can draw ductwork on the floor plans (or trace ductwork from the 2d)

Cheers

Since the model is from an outside source and may be subject to change, I would start a new project and link that model into your project. It will make it extremely easy to update the linked file if there are changes.

To make views, go to the View tab and click the Plan Views button.

If you draw both ducts and move one so that one side of each duct is lined up and then stretch one duct to the other it "should" give you what you want.

Cheers again :)

Capture1.PNG

do either of you know or have any circular toilet exhaust valves?

and grilles with round connections? I cant seem to find the circular grilles anywhere? :(

Capture.PNG

The grilles are there. Look under Mechanical Components > Air-side Components > Air Terminals and you'll see the round neck diffusers and grilles.

I don't know about a circular toilet exhaust valve. Can you just use a standard valve for now and edit the properties for tagging? One thing you'll learn is that Revit MEP doesn't have a large catalog of components. You'll make most of your own from scratch.