Excel Concatenate Formula

suryatry26

Hi I have doubt in Excel Concatenate Formula.Here i have pasted one reference image.As per that Image I am Concatenating 05888 & 0001 means output coming like 5888-1.But i want out Like 05888-0001.I changed that column format as a Text also.But same output is coming.Any option is there? If 0001 means 0001 only need to come.

Concatenate_1.jpg

If the type of data in first two columns is Text, then the formula below should work:

=CONCATENATE(A1, "-", B1)

Edited by MSasu
Fixed the formula, "-" instead of "+".

ExcelConcatenate.PNG

No semi-colon's here. But, as indicate by the green triangles in the upper left hand corner, both cells are Text. Note that I change this "+" to this "-".

Or is a dash preferred over a plus sign?

I'm afraid that it was my mistake when I wrote the formula. It should included a dash, as in OP's screen-shot. Sorry for inconvenience.

use semicolons not commas to separate the text elements.

That is controled by what character you had set as List separator into Regional Settings of your system.

Excel Concat.jpg

The difference is the language version. This is German and as the Germans use a comma as a decimal seperator and it could be that they use a semicolon to differentiate with the decimal seperator. I don't know. If you SUM some cells together they use a semicolon to seperate the list, what do they use in the English version ReMark? Sorry if I caused some confusion here.

Same here ReMark.

My Excel set-up is OOTB and in Regional Settings my List Seperator is a ';' hence the difference. Thanks for the explanation Mircea.

Let's see what the OP says when he comes back tomorrow.

The below formula will force the formatting of the two values being concatenated; the type of data should not make a difference.

=CONCATENATE(TEXT(A1, "00000"), "-", TEXT(B1, "0000"))

By the way, you may ask a moderator to move your thread into a public area for better visibility and therefore support.