Please help design a nut.

Buzza

I am trying to model what i thought would be a simple nut but I can't figure out how to give the beveled profile around the top and bottom. In the attachment I have made the shape that I want to subtract from the nut but it will not let me do it. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or how to go about it?

Thanks

nut1.dwg

JD Mather covered this in one of his tutorials. There has to be a link around here somewhere.

Here you go...http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD_2007_Tutorials.htm

Look at tutorial #4. You'll find the answer within.

Thanks Mark!

I did try a similar method by lofting the top circle to a larger one I had place below the nut but I didn't use the 'intersect' command, I was trying 'subtract'.

I will save this tutorial for future reference when I come to to a thread again. last time I tried AutoCAD kept rotating the triangle so the point was pointing towards the rod when I used 'sweep'. I got round it by making a square and moving one point to make it into a triangle and then sweeping. It worked :).

:nono: I wish that '+ Reply to Thread' button above the reply box wasn't there. Every time I come on here I press it after writing a post out and it deletes it. Must learn to use the correct one :P.

haha that's no fun SLW.:lol:

I had got it working thanks Mark. I was just saying in previous attempts I was using the subtract, which obviously didn't work.

I got round it by making a square and moving one point to make it into a triangle and then sweeping.

When using the Sweep command watch the command line and set the correct parameters (Align - off might be appropriate).