Nvidia Quadro & Geforce in same computer?

clydemit

My work computer has a Quadro FX 4800 and dual monitors, i want to add 2 additional monitors.

I was wondering the pros and cons of putting a Geforce along side the Quadro.

Geforce is cheaper then Quadro and all I need it for is the extra monitors.

I run Solidworks, Autocad, and RasterCAD, but Solidworks is the program I am worried about as it requires the most strain on the computer and I don't want to limit it by adding the Geforce card to the computer.

Any help would be appreciated

Something tells me both cards should be the same. Have you heard or read differently?

Would your power supply handle the extra load?

Will you have enough cooling? Heat trapped within a box can do strange things to a system.

Do you have a free PCI-Express slot on your motherboard to accommodate the second card?

Something tells me both cards should be the same. Have you heard or read differently?

Would your power supply handle the extra load?

Will you have enough cooling? Heat trapped within a box can do strange things to a system.

Do you have a free PCI-Express slot on your motherboard to accommodate the second card?

I have not read anything about using solidworks with it. Should i just get a solidworks recommended geforce?

I have a monster 12 core @2.93ghz, 24 gb ram, and a massive power supply i am more concerned about performance. the case will fit the card.

My gut feeling is that both cards should be the same. It's up to you where/how you want to spend your money.

I'm glad to see you know more about your computer configuration than the average CAD user. There is hope for the world yet. No offense is meant either. I think power users should know exactly what's under the hood otherwise they might as well be driving a Yugo.

Autodesk products have been utilizing Direct3D instead of OpenGL more and more. This means that the gaming counterparts are outperforming the workstation cards in some or most occasions. Save the bucks and get the gaming card, you won't be disappointed. But, you'll need to research the Solidworks graphics needs a bit further (graphics extensions, that is).

Me knowing so much about my computer scares my IT dept. I am in charge of all CAD software instead of them because of there lack of knowledge with CAD programs.

I just want to know if an additional Geforce card would interfere with the performance of the Quadro. I was hoping someone using solidworks might have done this before. If the 2nd card does not effect the performance then i should be fine.

Just have to get the spending approved to buy some new cards and 3 cards under $1000 (3 Geforce) would be better then 3 cards for $4,000 (3 Quadro). Darn purchasing dept are a bunch of penny pinchers.

I don't see it interfering at all. By chance, is there any other video card laying around (or an unused computer) to test? Even a plain one just to test :)

Not that is nvidia all the others computers either have on board video or Quadro's also. I could bring in my own video card from home but i am pretty sure that would be frowned upon by my IT.

Just because both cards are made by nVidia doesn't mean they will co-exist peacefully.
The days of multiple video cards coexisting in a single computer being problematic have definitely came a long way. I built a computer a few years back that had three video cards. A Quadro NVS (supported four displays), and two entry level fanless GeForce cards. He ran 7 displays without a problem (stock trader, his $15k program required four monitors as a minimum requirement). Granted, he wasn't trying to leverage these video cards for the brutal use of CAD design. I do wonder, however, how CAD applications will detect which card it needs. I wonder if it's manual or automatic. *shrugs*

Put a second different card in the computer then report back here with the results. We're all curious. Then we'll have our answer either way. Good luck.

With Windows 7 should be little to no problem. Many, on some of the computer hardware and gaming boards, recommend using the same series, some have reported conflicts with drivers on different series of same manufacturer, many have reported BETTER results with mixed Nvidia/ATI/Matrox, etc. (no driver interference).

Seems in my readings, for Windows 7, "they play well together" is FAR more common than the "they don't get along", but I would test one before odering them all.