How to create 3D?

Lalitp

Hi, I am new to autocad and robotics student..

I have 3D data in text file, obtained from MATLAB software.

3D data contains 3 columns x,y and z, and 15000 rows..

So, now i want to create 3D image from that data in Autocad, Can i create..?

If Autocad doesn't support text file than i can conver this data in Excel file also..

I have attached my text file here..

http://speedy.sh/4yHP7/3d.txt

That's not hard at all, but you should specify what AutoCAD do you intend to use for this job, and what output do you need?

If you use AutoCAD...LT, then you could use Excel to generate a script file. If a full AutoCAD is used, a Lisp routine could use the points as they are.

Also what result do you expect? If you wish AutoCAD to place a point at each set of coords, then you will get something like a cloud of points. Maybe you wish a polyline passing thru those points, in the order they appear in the file. Or maybe you need a 3D mesh, to get a surface?

I didn't download the file, I won't install any software just to see a text file. If you post again, please paste here the first few lines of the file.

Welcome in the forum!

I have 3D data is of Metal plate surface and i want to create same metal plate surface again in 3D.

From this points i will get mesh of points, so, it is ok,

then is there facility of smoothing is Autocad..?

I never used autocad beforee so, i even don't know about versions.. but once i came to know that all my expectatins will fulfiled in this software then i will continue it..

Its not the easiest thing to do in autocad but depends on the version. I use this add on: http://www.sycode.com/products/point_cloud_ac/index.htm But it is not cheap. There are others some even free. But then you might need to stitch the mesh and most versions of autocad no longer have stitch. Then you need to convert it to a solid and that is a completely different problem.

You should probably try inventor.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

As a student, if you are not already aware, you should know that you can download free of charge

a student license for any of the Autodesk software from the Autodesk site.

I am just guessing, but suspect that Jimmy's suggestion to try Inventor, is probably a good one,

as it is at the cutting edge of 3D Modeling from Autodesk.

.... So, now i want to create 3D image from that data in Autocad, Can i create..?

These are all the 16545 points that Matlab produced (shown here as single dots). What kind of a 3D image is it supposed to be?

3d.jpg

Not helpful? OP already got help from you, fucaro and Jimmy and I didn't think I could add to it. I saw the text file and I just got curious. It didn't look like a single piece of metal plate to me.

Thanks paulmcz.. In image at 1st row, second column is the 3D thing which i want..

As i have seen this image here, now i will try it myself and will come to back if there is any problem...

Actually it is a 2*2 Cm^2 rectangular metal pipe.. And the points in text file are only of the surface.. I have focused a laser stripe on pipe, captured it in camera, extracted points of laser and created a text file, so, these are only the surface points.. Actually this was my first trial, now i will capture accurate points..

Thanks once again...

• 4 weeks later...

To create a MESH entity you would need, besides the vertices coordinates, also the vertices that surround each face and how they are connected to form edges.

I describe the process of creating a MESH (NOT a legacy Polygon or Polyface Mesh) through AutoLISP in my Autodesk University 2012 class.

I believe you could use the information in my Autodesk University 2012 class which deals with the creation and modification of AutoCAD MESH entities.

These classes are a series of videos which you can watch at http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=au_player#1%0:3202

You can see an example of coding tetrahedral hexahedral and dodecahedral meshes.

These are NOT the legacy Polygon or Polyface meshes, but the new MESH (aka Subdivision Surfaces) entities.

Edited by Cad64
Merged posts