AutoCAD and SolidWorks on Same Computer

Bill Tillman

We have a gentleman in our office who is running Windows 7 x64 with AutoCAD 2009 32 bit, and SolidWorks 2010. I believe the SW copy is 32 bit. Anyway, this particular user is constantly experiencing lockups of one kind or another with AutoCAD. He says that SolidWorks runs pretty good, but AutoCAD either acts up or locksup on him especially after he closes or opens a drawing and then tries to close and/or open another one. Seems to be when he's using the file dialog windows that most of his problems occur. He has also reported the infamous "Blue Screen of Death", yes even on Windows 7. He is telling me that his machine blue screens on him at least twice a day.

I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this kind of behavior on machines with AutoCAD and SW.

BTW - He and only one other user are using SW on the same machine with AutoCAD 2009. The other user is an XP+SP3 machine and he seems to be ok. The Windows 7 computer is showing this odd behavior.

How was 32-bit software installed on a 64-bit OS.

are you using something like this http://www.longbowsoftware.com/

I think I would at least verify the version of SWx as well.

This should show at the Start button

SWx 64-bit.png

I am running ACAD and SWx fine on 64-bit OS, but of course I am running 64-bit versions of these programs.

How was 32-bit software installed on a 64-bit OS

32 bit software will easily install on a 64 bit OS. Windows x64 even have a special Program File (x86) folder for such apps. I have never had any problem installing 32 bit apps on 64 bit OS. Now you cannot install 64 bit apps on 32 bit OS but the other way around has always been ok in my experiences.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably not helpful, but no, I haven't had any serious problems.

One place I worked had the complete autodesk suite, bentley suite, solidworks, lfm and cyclone on all the computers but they were all 64 bit. We did notice some random issues but we determined it was probably due to the order they were installed. My autocad would crash almost everytime I used the shift shortcut to 3dorbit, but never if I used the command of navbar. Maybe try to reinstall