AutoCAD object LINETYPE can be set to "BYLEVEL"?

SunDancer

Can I set an object's "LineType" property to "ByLevel" in AutoCAD 2008?

I know we can set properties to "ByLayer", but not sure if there is such a thing as "ByLevel". Any input would be very much appreciated.

Up to my knowledge, the only options for logically attachment of the features available in AutoCAD are ByLayer and ByBlock.

What exactly do you mean by "ByLevel"? You expect the features to vary in respect with their current elevation or what?

I believe AutoCAD use "Layer" instead of "Level". Micorstation use the idea of "Level". But our company CAD Guru said "it is easy to set object's LineType" to "ByLevel" in ACAD 2008. I wonder if he is right or not. Thanks for your reply.

I also think it's a terminology confusion. ACad doesn't have something like "Level", it's got an "Elevation" property for some objects - which is nothing more than a Z value. And its got "Layers" which is like type-groups of objects (as if they are clear plastic sheets which can be added / removed from the entire drawing). Only in verticals of ACad do you start getting into the idea of Level - e.g. in ACA the level is similar to a grid-line, only it shows as a horizontal line in a section (same as in Revit). But even in ACA the drawing view of that "Level" would be a separate DWG file with its own set of layers and all objects on those layers set to ByLayer.

If he means it's "easy" to set objects to "ByLayer" then he's correct. You can either select multiple objects and change their linetype property at once in something like the properties palette, or you can use the SetByLayer command which will even change the properties of objects inside blocks.