Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Oleson Village Properties.PNG
    The Properties palette. Dock it on the right hand side of your screen. Use the Auto-Hide feature so the palette will shrink to a vertical bar when not in use. That is activated by the opposite pointing arrowheads with the vertical bar to the right (upper right hand corner of the palette). Got it?

The three most important pieces of information I would like you to pay attention to are circled in red. They are: Color (Bylayer), Layer, and Linetype (Bylayer). Do NOT override the color or linetype designations. That is generally a bad drafting practice and should be avoided as much as possible.

Now, back to our subdivision. I hope you are somewhat familiar with the Offset command because that is what can be used to create lots 1, 2 and 3.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Oleson Village lots 1 2 3.PNG
    Offset line 2 as called for in the instructions a distance of 60. Then offset the resultant new line the same distance and repeat one more time.

Offset line 3 a distance of 120.

Your drawing should look similar to the above image. Trim the three lines that run east and west. Do not trim the line running north and south.

These lines serve a dual purpose. They are streetlines that define the width of the right-of-way; they are also property lines.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Oleson Village lots 1-3.jpg
    After you have trimmed the lines I want you to change them to the correct layer. Highlight all three lines. Go to your Properties palette and where you see the entry for Layer: Boundary change it to Property. This assumes of course that you have already created a layer called Property, with a continuous linetype and color of magenta as called for in the instructions.

Now your drawing should look like the above image.

Do you think you can create the remaining subdivision lots on your own? Note: refer to the Oleson Village thread I gave you a link to previously (post #10 of this thread). Take a look at post numbers 82, 83, 84 and 96.

Have you had any manual drafting experience? Just curious.
    Last edited by ReMark; 6th Dec 2012 at 12:53 pm.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Have you created your benchmark block yet?

You are going to need a north arrow and a scale bar. You can elect to create your own or you can download a block. One site I recommended earlier where you can obtain free blocks is Draftsperson.net. Find them here...http://www.draftsperson.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

When you get to the main page look for the heading Free AutoCAD Blocks and click on it. At the next page scroll down practically to the bottom and find the heading Symbols and Signs. You'll see entries for north points and scale bars. Take a look around. If you see anything you like download it. If you would rather make your own at least you can get some ideas by looking at the available examples.

So, let me ask, before you started the Oleson Village project had Penn-Foster given you a basic overview of AutoCAD and the commands you would be using?

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Wow, great to see all the hard work you put in to helping me!! Why can't you be the teacher for Penn Foster! You're doing the work already, they just need to pay you!! Can you believe they are still using AutoCad 2010!!!! I complained when I got the book but they didn't care. If something you've noted doesn't match up and I can't figure it out on my own, I'll post my question. I'm so excited to get home tonight to keep moving ahead on this!!! I'm learning more with you than I did in the entire book. Autocad isn't something you can do very well from the book alone and no one-on-one interaction with an instructor.

I am familar with the offset command. I actually took a class a long time ago and with your help its starting to come back to me! I do have all my layers set up correctly. That part I figured out on my own thank goodness. I don't have ANY drafting experience at all but I'm very interested in the subject so I find it quite enjoyable to work with. I've had a couple of "Drawings and Specifications" courses but it was really just how to read the plans and not how to draw them. I do love to sketch, but I know thats not even close to drafting really. I haven't created the benchmark symbol just yet. I got kind of sleepy when I started to attempt it and I decided to put it away and start fresh tonight. I think I will just download the scale bar and north arrow this time.

I have taken the entire AutoCad 2010 course and completed all the exams with a 95 or better and that covered the commands, etc, but when it came down to doing the exercise I felt like I fell off into an abyss "where no man has gone before" haha. Its all starting to come together though now with your help. So when you name a command or a function, I know what it is but it takes me a bit to figure out again which button it is and what the desired result is. I do remember the trim and the offset functions.

I'll have to get back to work now, but I'll be back at it tonight when I get home around 7pm. Thanks soooooooo much. I won't be depressed anymore!!!!

p.s. what are your thoughts on learning BIM 3D modeling software? I've heard its beyond difficult. I was wondering if maybe I should focus my future efforts on learning that instead of traditional AutoCad.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Your comments are very much appreciated. I would only consider being a teacher at Penn-Foster if they revamped the entire AutoCAD course which I'm pretty sure they have no intention of doing at this time.

Have you had an interaction with an of the so-called instructors? If so, anyone in particular?

I am surprised that Penn-Foster is still using 2010. You get your software for free right? Where do you download it from exactly?

Glad to hear that your previous training is slowly coming back to you as we progress through the project.

I'll try to check in to this thread after dinner tonight. Maybe we'll bump into each other. See you later.

Just checking in now. It's 5:45pm. No sign of any activity. I'll check again later.
    Last edited by ReMark; 7th Dec 2012 at 11:37 am.

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Hey! I haven't been able to log in all night! I sent a message to the moderator or whatever but I managed to finally get in when I tried the next time.

I'm sure you are off to sleep by now but I've been working since about 7. I'm doing great still only a few small snags. Which layer do the subdivision streets go on? The property layer? I've downloaded the north arrow and the scale, but i haven't put them in the drawing yet. My drawing looks a bit different than yours. I'm still working. I'm having some problems rounding off the edges of the cul de sac. I used filet but I'm doing something wrong.

I'm missing some of your outer blue lines and the center lines on the streets. I'll catch up tomorrow night. I'm a bit worn out now after 2 hours. I'll try to figure out how to take a png of what I have so far to post so you can see my progress.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

I would put the streets on the Property layer (color: cyan). If you recall I previously mentioned that streetlines and property lines are basically one in the same.

The north arrow and scale bar can be added once you have completed the subdivision and have added your title block and border. Just as long as you remember that North is at the top of your screen, south towards the bottoms, east is to the right and west is to the left. You were in the Boy Scouts at one time weren't you? LoL

The Fillet command is one option available for creating the curved streetline at the cul-de-sac.

The two additional streetlines are for SW Kensignton Place and SW Oleson Road. I also created the centerlines for both which are shown in magenta.
    Last edited by ReMark; 7th Dec 2012 at 05:55 pm.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Oleson Village cul-de-sac1.PNG
    Layout out the cul-de-sac. Start with offsetting the streetline 50 feet due east. Might as well include the centerline too at 25 feet.

Located the center of the culd-de-sac (I used a line) by way of the coordinates in your instructions.

Oleson Village cul-de-sac2.PNG
    Trim away the streetlines and fillet each side of the cul-de-sac (radius=20).
    If you trim away the part of the circle that falls between the two streetlines it will make the fillet process go much easier.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Oleson Village cul-de-sac3.PNG
    A close-up of the cul-de-sac.

Note the west side has had a fillet applied. The east side hasn't. When using the Fillet command your picks should be close to the intersection of the line and circle as shown in the image above.